Author Topic: Possible IAC control bug for stepper  (Read 6471 times)

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
Possible IAC control bug for stepper
« on: September 29, 2016, 06:44:47 pm »
I have been looking at the IAC functions on my VEMS over the last couple of days and have found a potential problem with some types of stepper.

During the power-up cycle, the stepper is driven hard against the "IAC closed" end stops to reference it, and then moved to the required position for starting.  This is fine when my Lucas stepper motor is sat on the bench with a G clamp acting as an end stop, but the process doesn't work well when the stepper is in the car because the stepper pin is driven hard into a tapered port and then it sometimes sticks here instead of moving to the correct starting position.  (In this case, the car won't start without a lot of throttle applied)  This then causes the stepper to be completely out of sync with where the ECU thinks it should be, meaning the car is difficult to do anything with because it isn't consistent from run to run.

I have a solution to this - the stepper can also be referenced by driving against the "IAC fully open" end stop - this is a much better defined position for the Lucas stepper - and it seems like it will make the main problem go away.

In order to test my theory, I reversed the step sequence, ensured all forms of IAC PID controllers were still disabled and changed the stepper reference position table to work in reverse.  It confirmed my theory that the Lucas stepper can't accurately be referenced from the closed position, but it can be referenced properly from the fully open position.

Is there a way of implementing this in VEMS properly without me having to tell lies to it?  I would like to get the PID controller to operate again, and right now it will be very confused.

I would prefer an option in the configuration to allow me to specify which end stop should be used to reference the stepper.

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
Re: Possible IAC control bug for stepper
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 06:30:55 pm »
I'd suggest there is something wrong with the stepper valve it's self. All the stepper valves i have are a tapered seat. The OEM way is to drive it closed then open.

Is it one of motor and pintle that screw into the throttle body? Or is it a complete valve assembly?

We've used stepper motor driven valves at work in refrigeration electronic expansion valves since the late 80's in almost the same configuration and they are always driven closed. We only ever experience issues with valves sticking because of other issues in the system, otherwise highly reliable.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 03:13:25 pm »
There is nothing wrong with the stepper valve.  Well other than it being a standard Lucas item from the late 1980s.  They never worked particularly well on the OEM ECU.  It is the screw in type.

It should be noted the standard ECU uses the fully open end to synchronise so I expect this may be to deal with the same problem as I am seeing.

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 08:37:06 pm »
Fair do's, I see your point. Sounds like a Rover quick fix LOL. Rover probably experienced this problem and it was easier to write a bit of code than re engineer the real problem.......... "There's an update for that" ;D

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 11:22:00 pm »
It would be nice if I could find an easy-to-fit alternative that worked properly!  (But as far as I can see, the code change would be easier as long as I keep the stepper away from the fully closed end stop...)