Author Topic: 60-2 wheel cautionary tale  (Read 3100 times)

Offline smurfinator

• BHP: -20
60-2 wheel cautionary tale
« on: January 15, 2017, 04:40:09 pm »
I'm hoping this might help somebody eventually.  I started my ABZ 4.2 project with a small 60-2 wheel mounted to the front pulley using the original Audi 90 (v6) flywheel sensor.  It worked well with wasted spark for some years.  Later, I decided to replace the sensor with one from a 1993 BMW 325i because I had a new one in a box of random parts acquired.  After this and a bunch of other modifications, the car was very difficult to start, would backfire and my trigger recordings showed many errors.  Due to other factors I elected to get a TTV racing 60-2 flywheel for the engine.  Well, when assembling the new crank trigger setup, I discovered something I NEVER would have without the flywheel switch.  The original Audi sensor magnet is a small diameter cylinder (inside the larger casing).  This worked well with the small teeth on the 60-2 disc.  However, the BMW sensor magnet is oblong and, in fact, the magnet was the same width as the 60-2 disc teeth and I had it oriented so that the magnet was bridging the gaps between the teeth longways. DOH!  The engine would never have had a good signal.  Even with the much larger teeth in my new flywheel, I was still careful to orient the magnet crosswise to the teeth.  The result is a very large difference between the missing tooth and background and no errors at all.  So, if you are using a 60-2 wheel, pay attention to the shape and orientation of the CPS magnet.
Audi ABZ 4.2 V8 in 1993 90 quattro
TTV 60-2 flywheel and cam sync
firmware: 1.2.20

Smurf blue (BMW Laguna Seca), hence the name!