Author Topic: New engine now getting trigger log issues  (Read 5590 times)

Offline se7ensport

• BHP: 6
New engine now getting trigger log issues
« on: April 07, 2017, 03:39:15 pm »
Hi

I've been running a Duratec 36-1 successfully with CAMsync for a few years, unfortunately I had to replace the engine and I'm now getting a trigger error that I haven't experienced before.

The car ticks over ok, but when driving especially around 2000rpm it suddenly starts stuttering and the rpm signal instantly drops.

I've logged this and have a trigger log file from the running engine and from cranking.

I'm struggling to interpret the issue correctly - my settings in VEMS have not changed, so it seems likely to be the cam or crank sensor or the wiring?

Any clues appreciated as I'm supposed to be competing Sunday, but I can't use the car in its current state.

Vemslog: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqvmr0ifday5smq/v3.3_u004869-2017.04.07-14.07.05.vemslog?dl=0
Running trigger log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nna52ww9knyqj0c/v3.3_u004869-2017-04-07-14.25.44.triggerlog?dl=0
Cranking trigger log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxtghsei1hmslei/v3.3_u004869-2017-04-07-14.37.53.triggerlog?dl=0

Thanks
Alex

Offline wersch

• BHP: 1
  • ECU installer in Sweden
Re: New engine now getting trigger log issues
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 02:12:51 pm »
The camsync (secondary trigger) is the problem, if you look at the triggerlog you can see that the signal is lost a couple of times.
Unfurtunately i canĀ“t tell you how to solve the problem, could be broken sensor or maybe wrong distance between sensor and trigger point or similar.

I also noticed that the car runs lean.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 03:22:31 pm by wersch »

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 02:18:16 pm »
Thank you.

I've just tried a new sensor and the problem still exists, I'll run a new length of shielded cable and retry.

Re:lean, I cant map this engine until it stops bucking. Hopefully it'll be going in the next hour or two!

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 02:56:57 pm »
Thank you.

I've just tried a new sensor and the problem still exists, I'll run a new length of shielded cable and retry.

Re:lean, I cant map this engine until it stops bucking. Hopefully it'll be going in the next hour or two!
it's vr or hall sensor? signal seems to be jumping all around.. and if you want to check it on bigger rpm you need to change to bigger connection speed
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 02:58:46 pm »
btw, would recomend to connect map sensor somewhere after throttles and fill map correction table with 100's you have no idea how good it will get ;)
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 03:22:50 pm »
Its VR for both the crank and the cam.  I'm currently soldering a new loom for the cam sensor.

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 04:10:01 pm »
Quick update, the cable I used for the cam and crank sensor was shielded microphone cable, while soldering it up I notices the inner cable covers didn't like the heat and melted easily...

I have now bought wire designed to be used in the engine bay from here: http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/p21.html

I had also grounded the shielding at both ends, which after a bit of reading creates an aerial rather than a filter.

Two lessons learnt:
1. buy the correct cable for the job - needs to take the heat and provide shielding.

2. only ground the shield at the ECU end, doing it at both ends is worse than having no shield!

Cheers
Alex