Author Topic: Third trigger VR doesn't work (appears in triggerlog when HALL)  (Read 3715 times)

Offline PeepPaadam

• BHP: 8
Third trigger VR doesn't work (appears in triggerlog when HALL)
« on: September 08, 2017, 03:03:57 pm »
Have a problem with friends car. Engine is BMW S50B30 (single variable VANOS on the intake cam).

Story: ordered VEMS with VR-VR-VR from webshop, worked perfectly until cabin heater radiator exploded during dyno and VEMS started in bootloader mode each time. Decided to send unit back to factory and use other VEMS in the meantime (v3.8, not b). Did modifications to triggers (VR-VR-VR), while primary and secondary trigger works nicely, no events shown on 3rd trigger. Used the VR-HALL converter and checked and double-checked connections, all perfect and identical to the webshop unit, still nothing.
When I connected HALL signal gen (from weshop) to 3rd trigger, shows nicely. But not from sensor. VR sensors verified with multimeter, both cam sensors show equal resistance, also tried to connect exhaust cam to 3rd trigger (just to eliminate sensor itself as cause), still nothing.

Any ideas? I can take photo of the 3rd trigger area if needed?

It's a rally car, time is really tight...

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
Re: Third trigger VR doesn't work (appears in triggerlog when HALL)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:46:54 pm »
Have a problem with friends car. Engine is BMW S50B30 (single variable VANOS on the intake cam).

Story: ordered VEMS with VR-VR-VR from webshop, worked perfectly until cabin heater radiator exploded during dyno and VEMS started in bootloader mode each time. Decided to send unit back to factory and use other VEMS in the meantime (v3.8, not b). Did modifications to triggers (VR-VR-VR), while primary and secondary trigger works nicely, no events shown on 3rd trigger. Used the VR-HALL converter and checked and double-checked connections, all perfect and identical to the webshop unit, still nothing.
When I connected HALL signal gen (from weshop) to 3rd trigger, shows nicely. But not from sensor. VR sensors verified with multimeter, both cam sensors show equal resistance, also tried to connect exhaust cam to 3rd trigger (just to eliminate sensor itself as cause), still nothing.

Any ideas? I can take photo of the 3rd trigger area if needed?

It's a rally car, time is really tight...
are you getting signal from vr hall converter to third trigger pin? if yes then 10k resistor inline is too much.
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline PeepPaadam

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 07:26:35 am »
Not sure because I do not have scope to test.

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 11:31:24 am »
Not sure because I do not have scope to test.
you should get one :)) ebay usb one :))
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline PeepPaadam

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 11:53:03 am »
Ordered it from ebay :)

But I tested with just a bare v3.8b board and it worked nicely without changing enything. Tested on another v3.8, anad again nothing. So it is somehow related if otherwise perfectly working boards do not show signal.