Author Topic: Stm32f105 ARM based dauther board for vems for canbus  (Read 33797 times)

Offline wersch

• BHP: 1
  • ECU installer in Sweden
Re: Stm32f105 ARM based dauther board for vems for canbus
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 05:04:13 pm »
Where are you from and are you planning to sell this solution?
It seems very interesting  ;)

Offline mr_g

• BHP: 9
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 05:46:11 pm »
I'm from Croatia, Zagreb. MWfire is my neighbour :)
I'm interested in some kind of cooperation, and I would be glad if somebody likes my boards and wants to use it...

I have connected this way my VEMS:
MCP3208_CH

0 (ch1)   TPS2
1 (ch2)   PPS1/2
2 (ch3)   FUEL_PRESS
3 (ch4)   A/C_PRESS
4 (ch5)   EGT1
5 (ch6)   IAT_TURBO
6 (ch7)   MUX_A
7 (ch8)   MUX_B

And plan to get multiplexed signals over canbus and this daughter board to send it to VEMS (S259-1/2 are connected for mux)...

A1   
A2   OIL_PRESS
A3   A/C-ON
A4   TC-ON

B1   LPG-ON
B2   ALS-ON
B3   Shift-Cut
B4   LC-ON

So we would see how it would go... :D I will notify you of progress.
Later I would move PPS1/2 to A1 over canbus...

I have 4 possible ways to tap-in VEMS and to pass it my information (MCP3208 ch7 and ch8) as it was passed by MC3208:
1. Use 2xDAC on ARM to send voltage to MCP3208 on ch7 and ch8.
2. Use 74HC243 (on bottom side of daughter board) to cut MISO line from MC3208 to VEMS and tap in MISO line at the apropriate time.
3. Use 1k resistor on MISO line of MC3208 to VEMS and tap-in MISO line at the appropriate time.
4. Convince VEMS guys to add new set of inputs over CS_CAN and SPI... :D

1. would work 100% but that way I have double (or triple) A/D-D/A-A/D conversion and it could be used for digital signals, not so much  for analog signals. But I'm convinced that I could make 3. to work also... Anyway, this daughter board is pretty versatile and supports it all. I gave it a lot of thoughts to make it happen.

As I described earlier in my posts how I want it to be used... Also, I plan to use a few DS18B20 over 1-wire line to measure temperatures of oil, water in engine cooler, in charge cooler, in charge cooler's water cooler, ambient, etc. I want to log in all these temperatures also IAT temperature before and after charge cooler to see its efficiency...

And all these collected data I would send over CANBUS to my central body computer with GPRS and send it on server...

I have added serial SPI flash on daughter board for smaller logs if something happens to the engine. Also added 3D gyro and accelerometer. GPS data would be received over CANBUS and relayed to VEMS over RX2 if needed...

I could make relay VEMS TUNE link over GPRS/CANBUS if somebody is interested in this... :D

Offline fphil

• BHP: 6
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 07:35:20 pm »
Brilliant  :P

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 12:10:27 pm »
maybe someone would like to redesign current vems ecu to use these connectors and make it compact as possible?
it would be interesting to see how much smaller it can get :))
https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=535&category_id=108
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 10:47:19 pm »
Plenty room in the current Alubos  case to fit 2x EC36. Tyco even do a Red connector with a different gender  to prevent the wrong plug to socket mishap. Rover used these on their MEMS controllers. The board tracks just need moving a little on the V3 to get a nice fit. I did a hack on one of my old boxes and wired the extra pins internally.

One thing to discuss though about shrinking the size of the box is the transistors. Most modern stuff I have seen use similar to DPAK chips and heat sink to the board...............

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 08:26:36 am »
Plenty room in the current Alubos  case to fit 2x EC36. Tyco even do a Red connector with a different gender  to prevent the wrong plug to socket mishap. Rover used these on their MEMS controllers. The board tracks just need moving a little on the V3 to get a nice fit. I did a hack on one of my old boxes and wired the extra pins internally.

One thing to discuss though about shrinking the size of the box is the transistors. Most modern stuff I have seen use similar to DPAK chips and heat sink to the board...............
yes I found out exactly the same info about the connectors, anyway those amp is the way to go, currently wiring some emtron ecus, jesus what a pleasure to work with them, easy connect disconnect, fast crimping, and easy pin fitting, and they are pretty much cheap these times. to have dpak's on board would be nice anyway would be interesting to see how much of free space we get for other stuff if we go like 4 layer board now, or similar, with same components, exept inj and ign transistors who would be dpack.
[email protected]

Offline mr_g

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 04:01:33 pm »
4 layer board isn't needed. All you need is stronger ARM processor with 100 or 144 pins. And VEMS can be 50% of curent size. DPACK's on bottom and logic on top layer...
AVR is ooooold technology. I didn't see flyback pin and special GND wiring anywhere, only on VEMS. It was good in 2005, or 2010, but there are many hotter boy in town for less money. EMTRON is a killer with 200+MHz ARM for the same amount of money.

VEMS isn't enough for me, for 2001 Astra, with a few special request, how could it drive 2015 BMW daily driver with all electronics enabled. It can't...

Offline fphil

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2017, 08:02:14 pm »
I am not sure that such a fast chip  of 200+MHz is needed to control a car engine which is anyway a slow process. Much better to have a clean software without bugs (which is far to be obvious) and easy to  handle. But if the matter is car control, this is another thing.
About the grounds wiring , apart the sensor ground, I did not understand why a sole big Power+GRD dedicated plug was not set.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:09:57 pm by fphil »

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2017, 01:11:11 am »
4 layer board isn't needed. All you need is stronger ARM processor with 100 or 144 pins. And VEMS can be 50% of curent size. DPACK's on bottom and logic on top layer...
AVR is ooooold technology. I didn't see flyback pin and special GND wiring anywhere, only on VEMS. It was good in 2005, or 2010, but there are many hotter boy in town for less money. EMTRON is a killer with 200+MHz ARM for the same amount of money.

VEMS isn't enough for me, for 2001 Astra, with a few special request, how could it drive 2015 BMW daily driver with all electronics enabled. It can't...

what are you talking emtron is a killer for same amount of money? :D
[email protected]

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2017, 09:08:31 am »

You canĀ“t expect a sub 1000euro ECU package to run a 2015 car, any 2015 car.

Offline fphil

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2017, 09:19:43 am »
Besides the 700 channels available etc  offered by KV16 there are some features I would be happy to get: better power and outputs protection, integrated scope, 3 axis accelerometer. :P

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2017, 12:01:56 pm »

emtron was engine killer for 2 years because of lot of bugs(fuel temp bug, fuel pressure bug, bad ground bug...). A similar price, lol :)))

And you can't drive old opel engine from 87 year with vems, wtf?
Vems can run bmw v8 from e82 with 9 vanos valves, 2x DBW ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwEVNfQCmbg

And there isn't a ecu how can drive car from 2015 with all functionality. That can only do OEM ecu design for that car.

Offline mr_g

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2017, 04:22:18 pm »
Well, you could drive any 2015 car with full functionality, but that requires a lot of time and a lot of sniffing. I gave a solution for VEMS 3.8 to bring it to 21 century... I am open for cooperation, so it's up to you guys... As I said, I have a lot of experience with canbus, and a lot of hours sniffing CANBUS.

Anyway, here is another small gadget for Canbus. USB->CANBUS with ARM STM32F103. 4x1cm. It can be used for anything... PCB's are sent to the manufacturing process. When I get them I would post some pics..

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2017, 04:30:48 pm »
Can usb adapters are very cheap on ebay
https://www.kanda.com/products/Lawicel/CANUSB.html
http://copperhilltech.com/blog/controller-area-network-can-prototyping-with-teensy-3132/
https://www.tindie.com/products/protofusion/canable-usb-to-can-bus-adapter/

but if you don't know what you need to send(over can), they are useless. Because of that P&P ecus are very expensive. Need big team and lot of time to find out needed information.

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2017, 08:52:50 pm »
I'm using raspberry for sniffing can :)) linux rasp pi3 and canutils
[email protected]