Author Topic: E85 0-5v input VEMS anytrim setup  (Read 6454 times)

Offline Scottme262

• BHP: 0
E85 0-5v input VEMS anytrim setup
« on: August 15, 2017, 03:48:30 am »
Hello Guys, I have searched for this and cannot find it.
I have a 1993 Audi S4 running the VEMS ecu. I have a Zeitronics flex fuel unit that gives a 0-5v signal for the ethanol content.
I just hooked it to the input for Anytrim Fuel trim on MCP3208Ch1 and am getting 1/2 the voltage showing in the scaling as the VEMS unit is receiving. Right now the ethanol content is 50% so it should be reading 2.5v in the software. It is getting 2.5v on its input (I just checked).

Is there a trim setting that I am not seeing that is halving the value the VEMS unit is using?
The firmware is 1.2.29 and the config is 1.2.23

Any help to get this to read the correct voltage would be appreciated.
Thank you
Scott

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
Re: E85 0-5v input VEMS anytrim setup
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 02:24:16 pm »
Hello Guys, I have searched for this and cannot find it.
I have a 1993 Audi S4 running the VEMS ecu. I have a Zeitronics flex fuel unit that gives a 0-5v signal for the ethanol content.
I just hooked it to the input for Anytrim Fuel trim on MCP3208Ch1 and am getting 1/2 the voltage showing in the scaling as the VEMS unit is receiving. Right now the ethanol content is 50% so it should be reading 2.5v in the software. It is getting 2.5v on its input (I just checked).

Is there a trim setting that I am not seeing that is halving the value the VEMS unit is using?
The firmware is 1.2.29 and the config is 1.2.23

Any help to get this to read the correct voltage would be appreciated.
Thank you
Scott
so you are getting half of voltage you are expecting or what? and upgrade at least to 1.2.32 but best would be 1.2.38 if you want to use all stuff properly
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline Scottme262

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 05:30:58 pm »
Yes, the voltage going into the unit is 2.5 volts. that equates to 50% ethanol.
But on the Anytrim curve analog/fuel it is showing 1.25 volts.

I will try the newer firmware again.  the other day I tried one of the newer ones and the car would not run.  I must have loaded it wrong.
Thanks for your help
Scott

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:15:06 pm »
Yes, the voltage going into the unit is 2.5 volts. that equates to 50% ethanol.
But on the Anytrim curve analog/fuel it is showing 1.25 volts.

I will try the newer firmware again.  the other day I tried one of the newer ones and the car would not run.  I must have loaded it wrong.
Thanks for your help
Scott
:)) use other input for that, analog1 has 10k inline resistor... so not really useful, put 1.2.38, make sure you fix all erors which ecu will show after upgrade, and I believe problem may be that new fw has fuel pump pwm control enabled..
[email protected]

Offline Scottme262

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 06:16:41 pm »
I just loaded 1.2.38 and like before the car will not start now.

This is a plug and play VEMS to Audi AAN unit.  Any reason it wont run the 1.2.38?

Thanks

Offline Scottme262

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 06:21:58 pm »
I just got your reply, Ill check the fuel pump PWM.
ch1 was the channel i was told to use and its even setup in my anytrim that way for ch1.

In my wiring pinout it has protected for ch0 ch1, protected+pulled up for ch 2 ch5, pulled up for ch6.
is ch6 the one to use then?
Sorry for all the questions, I just dont want to blow something up.
Thanks

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 06:51:47 pm »
I just got your reply, Ill check the fuel pump PWM.
ch1 was the channel i was told to use and its even setup in my anytrim that way for ch1.

In my wiring pinout it has protected for ch0 ch1, protected+pulled up for ch 2 ch5, pulled up for ch6.
is ch6 the one to use then?
Sorry for all the questions, I just dont want to blow something up.
Thanks
you can use pulled up ones too, just they may  be little off, like 0.02v or something. ch0 should work fine too.. not sure how it is in p&p versions :)) if it shows rpm it should be runing fine
[email protected]

Offline Scottme262

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 07:23:28 pm »
Thanks for your help.
I'm lost...  The 1.2.38 firmware had a massive list of errors that I did not know how to fix so I put it back to 1.2.29 and it runs again.

I checked my Ch1 signal on the analog raw gauges and its reading 1.25 volts and the 10 pin econoseal plug is not even plugged in!!!
I guess there are things going on in the background on channels i don't understand.  I though the 10 pin plug was for other items but the only channels that dont have any activity on them are 3 and 4.  Ch6 that is supposed to be a 0-5v input channel as well shows 4.96v and nothing is hooked to it either.

Sorry to waste your time.  Im going to go pound my head against a wall now.

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 09:07:32 pm »
Thanks for your help.
I'm lost...  The 1.2.38 firmware had a massive list of errors that I did not know how to fix so I put it back to 1.2.29 and it runs again.

I checked my Ch1 signal on the analog raw gauges and its reading 1.25 volts and the 10 pin econoseal plug is not even plugged in!!!
I guess there are things going on in the background on channels i don't understand.  I though the 10 pin plug was for other items but the only channels that dont have any activity on them are 3 and 4.  Ch6 that is supposed to be a 0-5v input channel as well shows 4.96v and nothing is hooked to it either.

Sorry to waste your time.  Im going to go pound my head against a wall now.

usually to fix those erors takes about 60s :) ch6 ch7 are pulled up, so they are supposed to read like that :) just plug your zeitronix to it and test :)
[email protected]

Offline Scottme262

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 10:34:52 pm »
I will give it a try on the zeitronix.  To fully understand what you are saying, the values may be off regarding voltage but it will still be a linear scale so just adapt the scaling to get the result?

As far as the errors and conflicts on the newer firmware, is there a way to look at each one and have the program help with what is wrong?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 12:40:20 am »
I will give it a try on the zeitronix.  To fully understand what you are saying, the values may be off regarding voltage but it will still be a linear scale so just adapt the scaling to get the result?

As far as the errors and conflicts on the newer firmware, is there a way to look at each one and have the program help with what is wrong?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.
just upload configuration file you are getting after updating software :)
[email protected]

Offline Scottme262

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 04:13:38 am »
It has been sorted out.
Pin 2 on the econoseal was backed out and not making contact.
The voltage now is absolutely dead on what the Zeitronics unit is outputting.

I did not realize that when there is nothing on that pin the ecu shows a voltage anyway.

Thank you Kamuto and the guys at EFI Express for your help.
Scott