Author Topic: New Ignition coils resulting in burnt stepper motor driver  (Read 8627 times)

Offline uni27

• BHP: 0
New Ignition coils resulting in burnt stepper motor driver
« on: September 14, 2017, 11:20:06 pm »
Hello everyone, I'm new to this VEMS business and need your advice on what I did wrong with this and how to resolve for the future.
Here is what I'm dealing with, just to clarify i just bought this car and did not install or connect any of the equipment:
Audi 5 cylinder turbo around 500hp
Vems 3.3 with aftermarket audi ignition coils, type: HUCO
I have been having ignition problems, misfiring under high boost which I thought might be ignition coil related after I had replaced the spark plugs. So i had an idea of replacing the aftermarket coils with brand new Audi 06A906115D coils which are comparable to the huco ones that were in the car.
After replacing the coils the car was running well until I went WOT under load the #3A fuse for the ECU input blew and the engine died.
Next step i tried replacing the fuse but it always blew 1 sec after switching the ignition on. after some time and alot of brain storming I decided to open the ECU and there was this burnt stepper motor driver.
Now I don't know alot about this VEMS ECU or any ECU's at all but is this normal? I have been reading about the driver that it can only handle 1A current at 5V-36V are the OEM ignition coils using more current than the aftermarket ones or what do you think?
Also one of the ignition coils was connected the conventional way with the resistor and ignition driver and that could handle the new coil while the other driver burned.
I'm wondering why someone would connect it this way, is it because it is impossible to connect all 5 coils the other way with the conventional driver or?

Any input on this well appreciated

Offline wersch

• BHP: 1
  • ECU installer in Sweden
Re: New Ignition coils resulting in burnt stepper motor driver
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 09:50:10 am »
If you are using passive coils use ignition output instead.
Stepper driver should only be used with active coils.

Offline uni27

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 08:58:09 pm »
I would have thought that replacement part ignition coils from another company than the original ones would be the samt type as the other but maybe they are different.

Also I'm still having this Ignition cut when in 3rd gear or higher on full load and boost, it is like I hit a failsafe or revlimit at around 4000rpm do you know what my problem could be?

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 09:47:41 pm »
your cut sounds like a missfire, do a log and upload it and share it here.

Offline uni27

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 03:36:06 pm »
I could not find a way to share the log files here so i sent you an e-mail to [email protected]

Offline gunni

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 07:13:15 pm »
Í don´t use that anymore,

In vemstune go to Help - VEMS sharing center, follow the directions, it´ll upload things to the VEMS server and you can share it here.

Offline uni27

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 07:12:27 pm »
Alright I have done a log drive with vemstune but when i try to upload it i get an error that the server is not responding do you know what my problem is there?

Offline gunni

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 01:57:51 pm »
sorry I don´t.

Are you able to use dropbox or onedrive or similar?

Offline uni27