Author Topic: Good Grounding  (Read 33135 times)

Offline wazzu70

• BHP: 1
Re: Good Grounding
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 03:28:05 am »
You connect the sensor ground to the common ground, the 20mm part has turned out to be not necessary.

So you do not need to separate the sensor grounds from the common ground? You can bundle them all up together? I thought it was best to remove the sensor grounds from the main grounds to isolate the noise, but maybe I misunderstood.

Also, my factory trigger wires have the extra ground wire wrapped around the inside. Do I ground this to the common ground, or to the sensor ground? Does it make a difference?

Sorry, just trying to make sure I do it right the first time :)
BMW E30 M42 project

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 01:29:02 pm »
You do not.

The shield and negative on the VR sensors connect to analog ground, which in itself connects to the main grounds.

Offline wazzu70

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 05:23:50 am »
Thanks for the clarification Gunni!
BMW E30 M42 project

Offline wazzu70

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 07:25:34 am »
OK, I haven't been able to work on my project for a bit but I am going to try and get the wiring wrapped up.

I can bundle all grounds to one point from the ECU (and sensors that have a ground including shields). From there I can just use one ground (much larger wire) to the chassis? I am no longer using the factory harness which had multiple ground points.

Also, on the factory harness the ignition coil pack ground had a beefier wire that went to the same chassis point as the grounds from the ECU.

Sorry if this is beating a dead horse, I am just making sure I can ground properly and not have noise interference.

Thanks.
BMW E30 M42 project

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 10:47:00 am »
Sounds about right.
You can put that beefy wire to the same grounding point on the chassis.

Offline Matus

• BHP: 0
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 11:42:31 am »
I would ground that directly to the head, and make sure that the grounding on the block is excellent.

Rob

Solid True  just see BMW S62 factory dedicated IGN grounds. Basically every coil have own ground wire connected to head.
There are also capacitors(if I am right) connected so IGN stream.. each bank have own.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:44:47 am by Matus »