Author Topic: Don't know if this is the rght place but here we go.  (Read 7277 times)

Offline Damien

• BHP: 0
Don't know if this is the rght place but here we go.
« on: September 20, 2008, 03:35:10 am »
Hi All,

To be brief my project involves a mid mounted mr2 turbo (3sgte rev 1) in a space frame chassis.

What I would really appreciate any help is:

a) loose as much unnessary wiring as possible

b) gain a reasonable amount more power from it (but I only plan on doing the work once!)

SO I'm kinda of the thought of a custom ECU, I was recommended VEMS and to join this forum so whats the beef all about? I'm more of a hardware man so know sweet FA about the programming of car ECU's and the like.

Thanks to everyone in advance  ;D

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Don't know if this is the rght place but here we go.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 08:12:31 pm »
Hi mate,

a) Yeah you can loose a lot of additional wiring if you dont have all the emissions stuff to deal with.  You'll need what I call the engine loom e.g. Starter motor, alternator, oil pressure warning light.  Then in a seperate bundle the ECU loom - which needs to be no more than air temp, water temp, throttle position, crank trigger, injectors and ignition.  VEMS has a wideband sensor which is an invaluable tuning aid, and an internal air pressure sensor so thats just a pipe to the ECU.

b) Any ecu will only give you the power that the engine is capable of making.  What a stand-alone/custom ecu will give you is flexability to tune the engine and make changes when you inevitably decide to try a new turbo, cams or what have you.  Also you can utilise the additional functionality like Anti-lag, launch control and boost control.

Offline Damien

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 07:15:08 am »
ok so a)Is a loom available to buy or a diagram on how to refine my existing loom

and b) Is there any recommendation on what to do with the ct26b that's on there? Get it modded, buy a bigger turbo altogether, Buy one of thsoe flange adaptors and put something that wasn't meant to be on there?

I think I'll get past most emisions as it'll registered on a 1951 chassis! :D

I'm looking at buying an aftermarket manifold losing the cat completely (already been weighed in) and pretty much jsut having a short straight through pipe as the exhaust on the turbo

Cheers :D

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 12:52:23 pm »
Fit the Vems and you´ll be able to do what ever you feel like.

Offline Damien

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 01:07:17 pm »
Fit the Vems and you´ll be able to do what ever you feel like.

Dude I don't even know what a Vems is... as the first post said I was recommended to fit a Vems and to join here to find out about it. I know it is an ECU but essentially I build customs chassis and have more experience with carbs and the like. When it comes to ECU's I am a complete amateur on anything that isn't stock.

So thanks for the enthusiasm but I would really like you to expand on your statement so I know what I CAN do. I would like to have a reliable 350bhp which I expect would be relatively easy with a decent turbo and ecu setup? (bearing in mind it will be running a decent induction setup with no exhaust)

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 04:00:52 pm »
Quote from: Damien
ok so a)Is a loom available to buy or a diagram on how to refine my existing loom

Yeah theres a generic loom available but it has almost every connector on it, some people who like a minimalist loom get a bit frustrated but the extra 'stuff' on there. 

and b) Is there any recommendation on what to do with the ct26b that's on there? Get it modded, buy a bigger turbo altogether, Buy one of thsoe flange adaptors and put something that wasn't meant to be on there?

For 350bhp you'd probably do well with a GT28RS, it spools amazingly quickly and provides enough air to make your target boost.

I think I'll get past most emisions as it'll registered on a 1951 chassis! :D

Cool... I think, whats the chassis?  It sounds a very interesting project.  Got any pictures?

I'm looking at buying an aftermarket manifold losing the cat completely (already been weighed in) and pretty much jsut having a short straight through pipe as the exhaust on the turbo

Thats gonna be noisey on full boost - probably won't be that quiet at idle either - it will make an awesome sound though ;D

The next thing you'll need to concern yourself with is triggering...

The easiest and most effective method is to mount a 36-1 trigger on your crank pulley as Sprocket has done here:

(His whole build-up is here: http://www.vems.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=47 )

The trigger wheels that work well are available from here:
http://trigger-wheels.com/store
For more info on how to fit one take a look at the Fitting Guide section

Offline Damien

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 06:37:41 pm »
When I'm back in the workshop I'll get some pictures up.
Basically it consists of a fairly original and stock 1951 VW Beetle (Split window, crotch cooler model with ragtop roof) body
A completely custom made spaceframe chassis and rollcage (took about a month to get the jig alone for the engine and box made properly) designed and built by us.
Skyline R33 GTR brakes all round, (parts we had knocking about)
Seriously Modified MX5 steering components and suspension.

Basically my first car was a beetle way back in the day and over the years I did the whole VW thing and progressed through to the jap scene... and always wanted an early 50's (split oval) beetle with modern performance... so many people do engine conversions (scoobys, rx7s etc) using stock 4 speed gearboxes and shitty brake conversions which are a complete waste of time in my oppinion.
I wanted a space frame chassis with a decent roll cage, the obvious choice for a rear engine conversion was to drop a complete mr2 engine and box... after chopping the rear end of an Mr2 about we decided to use most of the mr2 suspension components.

The jig was built, and then the chassis was built around the jig. The body was modified to be fitted to the chassis in a more practical manner rather than using heater channels.  Don't mistake me, this is not been built to be a show car although it has been built to an extremely high standard, way better than anything else out there.

Once the chassis was coming together we had a few mx5s knocking around our yard that had been damaged on the track and the front end looked pretty usable, once the crossmember came down all the vital parts we needed came with it...

In our stock pile we had a mazda b2000 we decided to break a while ago and we found the steering column mates up the mx5 steering box perfectly, was the right length to go under the dash and be in the correct place on the dash... and lots of spare maxda mx5 boss kits which fit nicely so am able to have a good choice of 6 bolt steering wheels (momo, sparco, nardi etc)

All this inbetween all the other work we do, which is been a pain in the ass but will definitely be very different to anything else that is on the track and road!  ;D

So inbetween getting everything fitted up, getting the chassis finished and all the other work I want to get the engine ready to be fitted hence being here. So Rob, the question is where do i get one of you 36-1 trigger for my crank pulley as Sprocket has done?

Also do you or anyone else have a diagram for what needs removing from the loom? Anywhere you recommend to buy goodies (like the turbo you recommended and vems ecu) from?  I was toying with the idea of fitting a rev 3 head I was offered but not many people seem to know if it will work on rev 1 engine  ???  To be honest the 3s-gte engine isn't the ideal solution, however I have had a few mr2's on my travels which were stock but pretty savage so with a little toying about with it should be more than enough.

Anything that makes my life easier I'm happy to return the favour in beer... may even have some very usable parts for ya'll lying around!

Offline Bat

• BHP: 8
    • Trucking site
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 08:02:59 pm »
Hi,
Trigger wheels from : http://trigger-wheels.com/store Will need a bit of engineering, but I don't think you'll be worried by that!

VEMs from Phat Bob ^ on here or http://shop.vems.hu/catalog/

As for the loom, there's 2 good ways to tackle it;
1, Remove loom and fit into skip, make a new one from scratch.
2, Remove the factory ECU multilpug and trace back all the wire to the sensor and connect them to the VEMs multiplugs. I'd recommend new power and ground wiring to ensure ECU reliability and ease of fitment :)

Have a read through this, http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FPhatBob%2FUserGuide That should sort most of your Q's ;)
Anything else just post up :)
Cheers,
Gavin :)
VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits for A series now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up 

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk