Author Topic: next Stage - trigger wheel setup - for waisted Spark  (Read 25752 times)

Offline Agriv8

• BHP: 4
next Stage - trigger wheel setup - for waisted Spark
« on: March 09, 2007, 09:19:19 am »
So I plan to get my Wasted spark up and running this eve / over the weekend.

I have a 36 -1 primary trigger installed on my crank so a tooth and a hole = 10 deg ( 5 deg each ) this will be firing 4 wasted spark coils

So I belive need to work out the deg between the missing tooth and the TDC and enter this into megatune.

My question is this am I working out

the degrees between TDC and where the Start of the missing tooth would be
Or
the degrees between TDC and where the center  of the missing tooth would be 
Or
am I barking up the wrong tree all together

Is there anything else I need to be made aware of ?

Many thanks

Agriv8

'The older I get the faster I was'

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
Re: next Stage - trigger wheel setup - for waisted Spark
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 09:51:08 am »
The way I did this was to mark TDC on the harmonic damper on the crank so that I could use a timing lamp on it when cranking with no plugs in the engine.  I adjsuted the timing of the spark to 0 in VEMS (crank ignition advance setting in Megatune) so that I got a timing pulse that should show the crank pulley mark lining up with the needle on the timing cover. 

Obviously you need to come up with a best guess to start off with, so work everything out using the leading edge of each tooth.  Note that you aren't triggering on just the missing tooth, you can trigger on any tooth, as long as you reference it to the missing one.

Offline Agriv8

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 09:08:24 pm »
Yep that makes sense and it worked spot on.

So how do I work out which pin goes to which waisted coil pack. I have 4 spark coil packs so for trigger wires. accourding to my instructions pins 33 to 36 are my coil drivers.

Regards

Agriv8   

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 09:27:41 pm »
You define the coil pattern in software, so you can plug them into which ever hole you like.

I prefer to match them upto their software equivalents: Coil 0->EC36-pin35, Coil 1->EC36-pin33, Coil 2->EC36pin34, Coil 3->EC36-pin36

Offline Agriv8

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 08:59:56 am »
Thanks Rob that makes sense was going to have a look last night but was spannering a RGB racer yesterday , will check those when I get chance.

Where in the software do I define the coil patten.

Many thanks

Regards

Agriv8

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 02:12:58 pm »
It's easy through MegaTune
Settings->Ignition Outputs

The drop down boxes define the pattern, remember that it counts from the highest numbered cell down to zero.

Offline Agriv8

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 01:10:27 am »
Struggling with this all evening either I have my trigger settings out ( but have checked with timing gun )

so the basic in pictures

My Ignition settings are as so

and how I have them conected

getting sparks just not at the right time help required before the next dor neigbour slaps an asbo on me.

Regards

Agriv8

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 11:58:56 am »
If you've wired them in firing order (which it seems that you have) then you should have them set
0 = 3
1 = 2
2 = 1
3 = 0

And set yout Ignition outputs in use h[2] to 03..00

Write up your firing order on a piece of paper, and write down where each one is firing in reality so you can figure out whats actually happening.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 11:59:20 am »
Have you definitely got the secondary trigger turned off?  This caught me out once and I only got half as many sparks as I was expecting...

Can you post up the trigger settings too?  I know you've checked them but you could be running up against some weird software feature when you start to apply proper spark advance.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 12:00:17 pm »
Should be the same firing order as mine.  It looks right from memory, and they will run on 5 cylinders...

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 12:03:11 pm by dnb »

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 12:07:00 pm »
You've wired them in firing order, not in cylinder number order, so Rob's right - swap over 2 & 3 in your sequence.

Offline Agriv8

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 02:19:27 pm »
So setting the  h[2] to 03..00 will give me 4 ign outputs ( 0 to 4 inc )  rather than 8 ( 0 to 8 Inc ).

Ahh ( light bulb on - possibly should that be spark plug spark possibly   ;D)

wasted spark -- Looking at it from a piston point of veiw --  rather than crank rotating and angles of the V and crank angles ect  ..... ( makes my head hurt ).

2 spark plugs paired together on one coil pack -  triggerd by the Vems.

1 of the pair will be on Compresion stoke ( piston 1 ) the other will be on exhaust stroke ( piston 6 )
A FULL crank rotation later the pistons have swapped and piston 1 is on the exhaust stroke and 6 on the compresion stroke.

SO  Vems fires the controlling coil pack does not need to know which spark plug  is igniting the fuel or which is sparking the 'Wasted' ignighting exhaust gasses.

SO IGN outputs will look like somthing like.

Hang on Just so I can sus this

The point at which the Coil pack  ( ign outputs 00 to 03 ) fires is --  missing tooth  +n Deg.  So where is  n  defined as I need to check that as well  Dont I ?

need to check secondry trigger disabled and post up my trigger settings when I get home .

I have started drawing V's and cranks again ( off back to the dark server room )  ??? ???

Regards

Agriv8

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 04:54:30 pm »
The trigger tooth is defined in Settings->Primary Trigger Settings, in an ideal world you'd chose a tooth thats 90 to 60deg BTDC and trim the exact amount using TDC after the trigger (deg)

Remember to set your cranking advance in Settings->Primary Trigger Settings to 10deg TDC, then when you crank the engine you set the ignition to 10deg by the TDC after the trigger (deg)

Its not a bad idea to pull your plugs to put less load on your starter motor, and to have a good fresh battery on hand... Oh and make sure that the fuel injector's fuse is out

Offline Agriv8

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 11:38:39 pm »
right here is my trigger table.

the timming after TDC was set using dnb's gun method runing of original dizzie and gun fired of Coil pack 0

Gone back to basics tonight and checked out my wiring and switching ( some 12v Leds from malpin )

Need to check with timing gun tommorow.

Regards agriv8

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 03:26:52 pm »
Get right back to basics and get one coil firing (cylinder one & six for example)  correctly.  Then add coils one at a time.  Turn off your other coils by setting their outputs to an unconnected pin e.g.
0 = 4
1 = 4
2 = 4
3 = 0

Once you have that sorted, its a case of getting the coils on cylinder one to fire correctly, then adding the next pair and so on.

Its worth noting that wasted spark can upset timing lights that have 'clever' advance offset.