Author Topic: No speed sensor cal option available and other issues; SOLVED!  (Read 5431 times)

Offline ChrisAudi80

• BHP: 0
My first post, but been running VEMS for 2 years. I have a few questions.

Background: Running FW1.2.11 due to being old style 'n' ECU. Don't want to do the bootloader thing yet. When I got the ECU, it had 1.0.73. I did not buy the ECU new.

1. For some reason, the wheelspeed1 option for set up/calibration is not in my base set up pull down menu.
Why is that? Can I fix this by re-installing FW?

2. If or when the wheelspeed1 issue has been resolved, I want to connect a flex fuel sensor to wheelspeed1 (EC18-8). Kevin Black confirmed the ECU is set up for wheelspeed1. Can 1.2.11 support this? Just read Jason's write up of this.

3. I have the male header to put on the main board for the LCD display. Does anyone have a picture of the exact location to put this? Want to solder it in myself. Any tips for not frying the board?

4. Saw some comments about updating ini files from the web. Have searched, but don't understand if I need to do this or not.

5. After config sanity check, there are no warnings or errors, but a few lines of invalid values e.g: h24 dummy etc. No idea how to get rid of this or why it happens.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 10:09:49 am by ChrisAudi80 »

Offline jrussell

• VEMS USA
  • Administrator
  • BHP: 15
    • VEMS USA
Re: No speed sensor cal option available and other issues
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 09:10:21 pm »
1.2.11 does have wheelspeed. It's Base Setup -> Speed Sensor

FlexFuel sensor is more monitoring than much else. You can set up anytrim based on wheelspeed1 in 1.2.11, so you should be able to trim ignition/boost/pulsewidth, etc.

My opinion, throw the LCD in the garbage or use it for an electronics project. Don't bother with this. If you want a display use the android app or get a round gauge.
There are tons of pics on the wiki of where the LCD header goes. There's a reason you don't see any LCD or mention of it in the US VEMS store. I never recommend it.

Always update ini files from the web. In VemsTune go to Preferences, and it's there in the menu. You should be running VemsTune 2018-01-04 and update ini files every week or so, or whenever you use VemsTune if it's not often.

Not sure what h24 dummy is exactly, it's either been forever since I've seen it, or I haven't. But sometimes you need to enable a feature to set a setting, then disable it again. I always take care of these just so it's clear when I do a validation. I'd imaging not being so picky would work out most of the time though.
VEMS USA - Located in beautiful Burlington, Vermont
1988 RX7 Turbo

Offline ChrisAudi80

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 04:20:57 am »
1.2.11 does have wheelspeed. It's Base Setup -> Speed Sensor

FlexFuel sensor is more monitoring than much else. You can set up anytrim based on wheelspeed1 in 1.2.11, so you should be able to trim ignition/boost/pulsewidth, etc.

My opinion, throw the LCD in the garbage or use it for an electronics project. Don't bother with this. If you want a display use the android app or get a round gauge.
There are tons of pics on the wiki of where the LCD header goes. There's a reason you don't see any LCD or mention of it in the US VEMS store. I never recommend it.

Always update ini files from the web. In VemsTune go to Preferences, and it's there in the menu. You should be running VemsTune 2018-01-04 and update ini files every week or so, or whenever you use VemsTune if it's not often.

Not sure what h24 dummy is exactly, it's either been forever since I've seen it, or I haven't. But sometimes you need to enable a feature to set a setting, then disable it again. I always take care of these just so it's clear when I do a validation. I'd imaging not being so picky would work out most of the time though.

Thanks for the reply Jason.

I was sure speed sensor is in 1.2.11, but it does not show in my base set up menu. I don't understand why.
Regarding the LCD, that is a shame. Already have the unit. Guess I'll have to sell it somehow.

Alright, guess next step is to install new VT, re-install FW and update ini files?
EDIT: I have updated the ini files. The speed sensor still does not show up in the menu. Can't attach any pictures. Re-install FW is next.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 04:44:23 am by ChrisAudi80 »

Offline ChrisAudi80

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 10:19:06 am »
Tried to re-install FW. Nothing happens when I press the (re)install button.

1.2.11 is installed already of course. Do I need to install another FW first (like 1.2.10?) and then install 1.2.11 again?

Speed sensor cal still not in my base set up menu.

Offline Tille

• BHP: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 10:32:26 pm »
Look at Inputs Menu > Speed Sensor.

Regards

Offline ChrisAudi80

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 07:50:44 am »
I put a screen cap of my base menu in the FB group. As you can see, no speed sensor cal option.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/vemsusers/

For some reason I cannot get a direct link to the post.

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 08:25:09 am »
when you uploaded the firmware did you select PS2 or wheelspeed?.......

There is for sure "Speed Sensor" config in the base settings menu directly under "ECU calibrations" in 1.2.11 firmware

Offline ChrisAudi80

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 08:57:44 am »
when you uploaded the firmware did you select PS2 or wheelspeed?.......

There is for sure "Speed Sensor" config in the base settings menu directly under "ECU calibrations" in 1.2.11 firmware
When I updated the FW two years ago, I went from 1.0.73 to 1.2.11. I don't remember what I checked off.

Yes, I know wheel speed is in 1.2.11 which is why it's so confusing.

Offline ChrisAudi80

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 10:09:25 am »
Solved!
Thanks to Colin for telling me to set option to wheelspeed, not PS and how to reupload FW.