Author Topic: v-twin  (Read 6359 times)

Offline Cornelius

• BHP: 0
v-twin
« on: August 20, 2018, 05:55:46 pm »
Hi, can vems handle odd v-twin? it is kawasaki vulcan 1500cc engine 2 cylinder at 50 degrees. intending to use missingtooth 60-2. How do I settup primary trigger? In my opinion it should be like this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iM2lJRxt-4Emvpghlbsq0rGdVD9wgnsq/view?usp=sharing  but I get lot of errors  :-\ next trigger tooth should be at 310 crank degrees (55 teeth)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:58:54 pm by Cornelius »

Offline jrussell

• VEMS USA
  • Administrator
  • BHP: 15
    • VEMS USA
Re: v-twin
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 07:56:16 pm »
I anticipate the 60-2 trigger is not factory on that engine? VEMS can easily control the engine, but I'm pretty sure that trigger won't work. You need the firing angle to be divisible by the trigger teeth. A 36-1 would work since it's 50 and 310 (both divisible by 10, and it's 10 degrees per tooth on a 36 tooth trigger). A 60-2 is 6 degrees per tooth, so neither 50 or 310 works evenly. 
VEMS USA - Located in beautiful Burlington, Vermont
1988 RX7 Turbo

Offline Cornelius

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 11:12:35 am »
you are absolutely right, 60-2 is wrong choice, so the preffered one is 36-1. by factory, engine has two individual vr pickups, for each cylinder, positioned at 50 degree between each other and one tooth on the flywheel.  seems that vems doesn't like odd triggering events, giving errors. For 36-1 trigger type, next  trigger tooth must be 31, but this value gives me same  error described above.

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 11:38:27 am »
you are absolutely right, 60-2 is wrong choice, so the preffered one is 36-1. by factory, engine has two individual vr pickups, for each cylinder, positioned at 50 degree between each other and one tooth on the flywheel.  seems that vems doesn't like odd triggering events, giving errors. For 36-1 trigger type, next  trigger tooth must be 31, but this value gives me same  error described above.
fill wiki page, you will get answer there for sure :)
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline Cornelius

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 08:22:40 am »
does anybody know, is there a way to make both trigger inputs to work as primary, triggering separate banks of injectors(ignition) ? the only way, that I've found, to trigger v-twin engine is a bit tricky and consit in fooling ecu(make it think that 2 cyl. engine is 8 cylinder  :o)http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FElbeEngineering%2FKTM I think that trigger settings should be more flexible, to avoid such tricks.

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 12:15:43 pm »
does anybody know, is there a way to make both trigger inputs to work as primary, triggering separate banks of injectors(ignition) ? the only way, that I've found, to trigger v-twin engine is a bit tricky and consit in fooling ecu(make it think that 2 cyl. engine is 8 cylinder  :o)http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FElbeEngineering%2FKTM I think that trigger settings should be more flexible, to avoid such tricks.
vems trigger settings probably are most flexible from ecus I know ;)
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline jrussell

• VEMS USA
  • Administrator
  • BHP: 15
    • VEMS USA
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 03:05:22 pm »
I don't have time to set this up for you, unfortunately, but it's done with trigger reference tooth table. In your case it would be something like 5, 31, 5, 31 (or maybe 1,27,1,27 if you want first trigger tooth to be 1 instead of 5. You just add or subtract from both the same so they are always the same distance from each other)

You don't need two triggers.
VEMS USA - Located in beautiful Burlington, Vermont
1988 RX7 Turbo