Author Topic: A request for work!  (Read 15481 times)

Offline Sprockets

• BHP: 5
A request for work!
« on: November 26, 2008, 10:38:04 am »
Hi guys

This is a bit different sort of a post for this board, but thought I'd give it a go :)

I'm currently looking for a job in the motor trade as a technician, but as the current econimic state is, I'm struggling :(  It seems companies are making people redundant rather than recruiting!  I've also tried numerous agenices, but you're lucky to get any form of contact about job status and applicantions.

So, I thought I'd ask people that are actually involved in the trade as many jobs like this are filled via word and mouth rather than advertising.

A quick little bit about me, been running my own business for the past year dealing with all aspects of the automotive and performance side of things.  Anything from a simple service to engine builds/car prep on anything from a strimmer to a tractor!!!  But the main bulk was cars and bikes :)  Before that I was doing much the same, but working for a company, RGS Motorsport, rather than myself.  Was exposed to lots of fun stuff there as the owner used to run an ex Jordan F1 car, which I was privelaged enough to work on :)

Before that, I had a career in IT server management which I enjoyed, but couldn't get away from the passion of spanner turning as I've been exposed to it all my life.  Dad had his own business for 12 years or so as a general car mechanic, and before that he was an agricultural mechanic.  Even my grandad was a steam engineer lol.

So there we have it.  If anybody knows of anything please PM me and I will gladly pass on a CV.  I'm based in Bedfordshire, and don't mind travelling, but preferably only to the surrounding counties (Northants, Cambs, Bucks, Herts)

Cheers for your time guys.  This may amount to nothing, but you have to try.  If nothing else, you'll all know that little bit more about me lol.

-Gavin

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: A request for work!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 11:21:48 am »
Sorry to hear that things aren't looking too rosy for you at the moment, we're sitting waiting to see if our current contract is going to be extended, if not I get to post a similar thread.

Offline Sprockets

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 11:33:01 am »
Cheers Rob, and thanks for making it a sticky :)

Hope your end goes nice and smoothly, but it's looking like nobody is safe anymore.  If things don't pick up here, I'm considering moving to the land of Oz!  I have relatives out there, and vehicle technicians are on the list of jobs in demand.  We'll see :)

-Gavin

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 11:51:40 am »
I lost my job in the recession of the early 90's and again in the .com collapse.  I will, no doubt, loose my job again - several times in fact.

Its just the way of things I guess.

Offline mk1classic

• BHP: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 09:38:55 pm »
Gavin, I see your living close to my old Uni (Cranfield Uni.) that means you aren't far of from Banbury, where we find Prodrive  ;D

I see they are looking for Aston Martin car build technician

More Prodrive Vacancies

Another big company you can try is Nissan Technical Centre (Cranfield) They have techs helping out with testing.

Offline Bat

• BHP: 8
    • Trucking site
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 11:23:32 pm »
Hi,
Try Matchtech.com they keep phoning me with jobs down that way....
Cheers,
Gavin :)
VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits for A series now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up 

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk

Offline Sprockets

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 12:18:38 pm »
Cheers guys for all your suggestions, but it seems all to no avail.  Especially now Aston Martin have let 600 people go!  Lot of people looking for the same jobs that don't exist!!!

I'm now getting all set up for Oz.  I tick all the right boxes and I'm allowed in!  They also love the modifying scene over there, so should be all good.  Aiming to go there before my birthday in Feb.

Do we need an Australian VEMS dealer? lol :)

Again, thank you to all the people that replied and offered suggestions, was nice to see people helping out even though it wasn't car realted :)

-Gavin

Offline Dizz

• BHP: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 11:02:49 pm »
I'm in the same situation over here in Ireland. I'm a qualified Mercedes technician & was recently let go as the motor trade is dead especially for high end manufacturers. I'm also finding it a nightmare to get any sort of Motor Trade job over here :(