Author Topic: Adding second EGT  (Read 6899 times)

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
Adding second EGT
« on: April 25, 2009, 04:23:11 am »
Is there an easy guide for adding the second EGT channel?  I would like to use the second channel to monitor some new things while still keeping an eye on the EGT with the first channel...

Thanks

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Adding second EGT
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 04:42:00 am »
Best to follow the schematic - its just a case of soldering one of the thermocouple chips on the underside of the board - everything else should be in place.

Offline 944_Driver

• BHP: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 03:22:18 am »
While we are on the EGT subject.
How do you solder the thermocouple wire to the circuit board? The green wire just will not stick to the soldering joint... I have tried with different soldering fluids also without any luck.

//Magnus

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 03:01:33 pm »
I can't say that I've ever had a problem.  But I could see that the metal might not take to the solder, what power is your iron?  You may have to heat the wire a great deal to get the solder to take when you tin it.  Once tinned the wire should solder to the pcb much cleaner.

Offline 944_Driver

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 03:30:29 am »
It is the tinning part that fails, I never got that far that I tried at the pcb. I tried running my 48W iron at 420C (max) without luck, tin just refuse to stick to the green wire. Even tried to heat it with torch, didn't make it better.

Maybe the wire I bought from the webshop (vems.hu) is hard to solder? Maybe I can find a better one at work... lets see.

//Magnus

I can't say that I've ever had a problem.  But I could see that the metal might not take to the solder, what power is your iron?  You may have to heat the wire a great deal to get the solder to take when you tin it.  Once tinned the wire should solder to the pcb much cleaner.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 06:08:57 am »
Try a solder with a rosin flux.  Otherwise some old tin lead solder - it's better than the current standard tin silver in many ways, although it's probably not possible buy it now.

Offline 944_Driver

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 03:14:00 am »
Problem solved, single stranded wire, flux and 400C fixed it after some scraping with a knife to remove possible oxide. Thanks for your help :)

//Magnus