Author Topic: IGBT killed msd coil - UPDATED 16.05.  (Read 4816 times)

Offline gox

• BHP: 6
IGBT killed msd coil - UPDATED 16.05.
« on: May 06, 2009, 02:17:54 am »
the story goes....:

After drift event,at the last circle i ran out of fuel and heard engine working on 5cyl (of six) but it was the end of the practice so i quit and put the car on the trailer and went home...next morning i got fuel in and try to start when i saw fuse blow up....i changed the fuse but as soon as i switch ignition on the fuse blow...,i checked the coils and one of three was dead :(...i tought that was the problem of the blowing fuse so i left the car until i get another coil,today i installed the bosch 3x2 and the fuse blown again as soon as i put ignition...hm...i switch the ignition output to EC36 pin24 and the fuse stoped to blow up...so it looks like i have igbt left open and blown the previos coil :(...before i installed the new coil i put the ground the way that Jorgen described...and now car is working ok with new coil.We will see now if any more igbts or fets will blow up...i have a drift event this weekand and hope it will not let me down.

Another thing that i noticed is that Ignition based idle control doesnt work any more...how is that possible? ignition at idle is 20deg like in ignition map,and doesnt change at all,car is idling nice,but i know that igntion based idle control was working before and i had car idling at arround 10deg...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Tnx guys

Here are the settings:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 03:03:08 pm by BMW 325i »
E30 2.7 - VEMS,KKK K27.2,Schrick,1bar

Offline gox

Re: IGBT killed msd coil - UPDATED 16.05.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 03:04:26 pm »
update:

since i have only 2 live IGBT's i needed to get back to stock coil and stock plug wires,now igbt doesnt die any more?  ??? ??? ???

I had msd coils with msd heli core plug wires....

Any1 have any idea?

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 04:18:26 pm »
Personally, in this case, I'd get an external igniter pack and drive it with the stepper motor output, or the logic level output.

Offline gox

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 05:19:25 pm »
something like EDIS?

Can you give me some example,can i use igniter pack for Bosch 3x2 coil?