Author Topic: Audi RS2  (Read 250873 times)

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: Audi RS2
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2009, 05:48:07 am »
If your EGT is lower then at that point your ignition advance is higher ,
there is no way around it,
so you motronic is producing higher advance then your VEMS ecu.
What´s causing that must be fault found.

Most likely that settings that you are assuming are right and correct.

Offline AVP

• BHP: 11
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2009, 12:59:33 pm »
Well, Marc is at the process of rechecking that and also i will be conducting test with the lamda to track down the fueling map that motronic has.I think in the end we'll nail it down!

thanks for the info though!

Offline PeepPaadam

• BHP: 8
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2009, 02:41:15 pm »
Why are you bothering with Motronic maps?

You should get the car tuned, both ignition and fuel not comparing untuned VEMS to Motronic. First insert reasonable (=safe) spark advance values, then get the fuel right on the road and then go to the dyno to get the igntion spot-on.

And forget about the Motronic.

Offline AVP

« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2009, 07:02:22 pm »
as i said before.

simple question.What would you concider 'safe' EGT for cruising speeds? 700? 800? 900? degrees celcius?

If i tune for a safe ignition timing,then my fueling must go up to 0.95lamda at least to get a safe of 750C ON the turbo hotside measured temperature for cruising speeds.If i go by lamda values being 1 on cruising,then timing has to go really high in order to have the temperatures behaving.

finally again i cannot go on my own to a dyno to do any tuning,it would be a waste of time and money,as i have no previous experience.I would have to go with someone that knows VEMS or a professional tuner.

I will do that next year on my final engine upgrade. In the meantime i will do little by little on my own.

Can i ask clearly what are your baselines for safety when tuning? what spark or EGTs do you expect on specific location of the sensor to regard that as safe and tune it accordingly?(cause i say what i say from things i have heard from tuners)

do you think the exhaust manifold and turbo will like it being on 900C continuesly on crusing for 2-3 hours drive?

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2009, 08:20:21 pm »
Safe EGTs are a tricky subject.
http://195.159.109.134/vemsuk/forum/index.php/topic,532.msg5450.html#msg5450

Can we confirm that you're getting different readings from exactly the same sensor in the same place with the same EGT gauge?

Offline AVP

« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2009, 08:55:51 pm »
yes i have written that a few times earlier.Im only using the sam egt sensor that the motronic map was based at.Nothing else.VEMS egt sensor has not be placed in an adequate position and therefore does not suplly with any usefull information at this time.I will have to rearrange it once the donwpipe is done next year.

EGTs are now measured ON the turbo hotside and this is what i use as a reference and comparison

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2009, 09:15:49 pm »

do you think the exhaust manifold and turbo will like it being on 900C continuesly on crusing for 2-3 hours drive?

If you are getting 900C during cruising and lambda1 your Ignition table values are not the values the engine is seeing.
This is similar to what happened with my friends RB26 Skyline, the sensor got damaged and the ignition values of say 20degress where actually -10 degress and the EGT was excessive I had to raise the advance 30degrees just to make the car drivable. After he got a new sensor and replaced it, he took away the 30deg higher advance from the system and is was the same.

That´s why it´s very important that you get a timing light to verify that the ignition table values you have in your VEMS are actually right.
Any more forum pondering is useless. This is something you should check as soon as possible.

Offline AVP

« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2009, 09:40:22 pm »
right, ok,
IF the sensor on the crankshaft was faulty,that would mean that the motronic would also be having the same problem.correct?

So since motronic is working fine,then i can say that the sensor is also working properly.

Hence,the only problem should be in the VEMS settings configuration.

i will try and find out how the procedure of checking the timing is done.

any hints?

Offline mswanson

• BHP: 4
« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2009, 07:19:39 am »
I corrected the timing on his map (it was indeed off, that happened when I moved to using the hall inverter which shifted the value for TDC after the trigger).  I've sent him the correct details for his ecu.  The settings he was running had his curve retarded by ~5 degrees.

Offline audis2turbo

• BHP: 1
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2009, 04:14:27 pm »
I corrected the timing on his map (it was indeed off, that happened when I moved to using the hall inverter which shifted the value for TDC after the trigger).  I've sent him the correct details for his ecu.  The settings he was running had his curve retarded by ~5 degrees.

What setting was wrong in Megatune?
Are we heading to 1.1.44?
1.1.44 If the error-free and runs on the Audi?

Offline mswanson

• BHP: 4
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2009, 07:27:37 pm »

What setting was wrong in Megatune?
Are we heading to 1.1.44?
1.1.44 If the error-free and runs on the Audi?

the new target with eventually be the 1.1.5x branch.  I'm comfortable with 1.1.44 until 1.1.5x is stable.  The setting that changed is under primary trigger settings.  TDC after the trigger.  I had it set to 66, should be 56.

Offline AVP

« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2009, 03:37:51 pm »
just to keep me occupied, i successfully rolled back to version 1.1.27 with the help of v3gui using the correct air and coolant files.

Now im going to need an .msq file to put in the correct settings (basic) as they are different in 1.1.44 and although the car starts,it is rough.

It appears to be some kind of ignition or injector issue as when the pedal is dipped it runs as if this is a V8 with bad coils! No smoothness there.

Reg_fuel is up to 6.5 for 440cc and 15deg of advance (but with advance based idle is 20ish on idle) and lamda =1

I have set the lamda calibration back to the original input as Marc did so as to have the same value as when it was tested when new, following Rob's advice.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:24:21 pm by A80Avant »

Offline AVP

« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2009, 01:51:40 pm »
today im going to try out the msq file that marc uses on the 1.1.27 versions and start tuning from that. Hopefully it will work better and manage to get VEMS on the roll again.

Offline AVP

« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2009, 01:05:48 am »
Version 1.1.27 beta6 is now operative. Im using the 16x14 tables and it seems that everything is working properly now.

new sessions of tuning have begun. AND EGTs look much more down to earth now!!