Author Topic: best place for air temp sensor  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Seight-v8

• BHP: 6
    • Members Page - Scott Richmond
best place for air temp sensor
« on: June 03, 2019, 10:14:13 pm »
Hello all,

I am doing some upgrades and just wondering if I have the best position for the air intake temperature sensor.

Currently its placed in a metal pipe between the plenum inlet and the air filter outlet, at position 1 below.......not the best maybe, as the metal pipe heat soaks.....although I might change this pipe for a carbon version.

Anyway other options are as attached pic.

1. current position.
2. Placed in the end of the air filter
3. Placed in the end of the carbon plenum

Just wondering before I decide to move it, or just leave it?

Any help appreciated.

thanks
scott
Engine:Rover V8 4600cc
Vems Firmware:V1.2.38, GPS, SDcard, LCD & Dual lambdas, Wasted spark, 36-1 trigger, Cam Sync & Bluetooth serial.

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FScottRichmond

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
Re: best place for air temp sensor
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 12:03:47 pm »
I would say best place is in the flow (to faster responce) in place where it reads temperature entering the combustion chamber. However sensor itself is too big for placing it in cylinder intake runner. Close to runner entry maybe. And use fast sensor as possible. VEMS has no any delay calculations.

Offline msh

• BHP: 0
Re: best place for air temp sensor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 03:28:21 pm »
While using this forum I've noticed two approaches on sensor placement - one is what Gints mentions, no explanation needed - another, mentioned by some other power users, is exactly opposite -  to place it as far away from throttle towards air filter, as possible, with the logic that air doesn't heat up considerably in intake. I'm currently experimenting with this approach with my golf, since it is way easier to drill holes in air filter box than in intake manifold :) Recently I found out that even sensor installed in filter box in front of outlet can be affected by heat soak quite enough, so looks like it has to be put at the inlet of filter box.

In case I won't be able to get satisfactory results [max 1-2% lean when leaving supermarket after shopping] , I'll return to metalworking tools to place sensor in some intake runner... :D