Author Topic: 60-2 Trigger Cnt Error-Possible Failing sensor?  (Read 9757 times)

Offline homer

• BHP: 0
60-2 Trigger Cnt Error-Possible Failing sensor?
« on: February 01, 2017, 04:35:24 pm »
This is on a 5cyl volvo engine. V3.6 board. Had some hesitation/misfire issues that were always solved by a restart. Occured 1 out of 10 or so times the car is driven in the past year. Also noticed that the rpms would drop momentarily (milliseconds) while cruising. This was happening on firmware 1.2.30 and 31.  I recently downgraded to 1.2.11 out of curiosity.  It has only been a few days since the downgrade but doing some trigger logs I've noticed some oddities. It's also worth noting my car has 37k miles on the vems setup and has been remarkably reliable. I hesitate to think its wiring related because of the restart curing the issues.
The crank position sensor is a VR type, came with the motor when I put it in my 240 so its origins are unknown. I just ordered a new one.
Cam sensor is a hall effect. Both are shielded. The shields are drained at the ECU only.
Haven't seen any sync errors in the logs.

So this first trigger log screen shot is idling and a couple throttle blips on firmware 1.2.11.  The engine is quite smooth the entire time, no apparent issues besides the crank trigger dropping out.
I'm not familiar with how vems handles crank triggers dropping. Can anyone shed some light on this?

This trigger log is from idling on 1.2.30 back in Sept 2016, it was hesitating/misfiring quite badly. Is 1.2.30 more sensitive to trigger errors?

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
Re: 60-2 Trigger Cnt Error-Possible Failing sensor?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 05:58:41 pm »
all ecus are sensitive to poor grounding, anyway if you want to log trigger when engine is running you should change connection speed in preferences to at least 57600 that will provide you normal looking trigger log :)
and it more seems there is an issue with your cam sensor more, I had one 5 cyl volvo as i remember guys changed it's oem cam sensors to honeywell ones or something.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:00:47 pm by Kamuto »
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline homer

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 06:10:50 pm »
Ah that makes sense! Yeah poor cam seals seem to wreck the cam sensors in short order. I'll look in to it

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 06:30:08 pm »
Ah that makes sense! Yeah poor cam seals seem to wreck the cam sensors in short order. I'll look in to it
anyway update it to newer software, it's more informative, it shows ignition events too :) btw, we made 760hp on that 5 cyl volvo :D
[email protected]

Offline homer

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 07:57:05 pm »
Grabbed a log with the higher connection speed. A few throttle blips in there you can see.
Looks much cleaner but still showing the crank and? cam dropping.

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 08:25:46 pm »
Grabbed a log with the higher connection speed. A few throttle blips in there you can see.
Looks much cleaner but still showing the crank and? cam dropping.

rise rpm slowly, no bliping, and as I said first upgrade software to new one, tooth logger is intended to be used at cranking, at idle, maybe 2000 rpm blank spaces in log are because of the connection speed dropping. upgrade to 1.2.31 at least, then make a trigger log, and upload it somewhere.
[email protected]

Offline homer

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 03:53:00 pm »

rise rpm slowly, no bliping, and as I said first upgrade software to new one, tooth logger is intended to be used at cranking, at idle, maybe 2000 rpm blank spaces in log are because of the connection speed dropping. upgrade to 1.2.31 at least, then make a trigger log, and upload it somewhere.
Done and done.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B70F_6JMnp4iQm1OUFhlbUFWSTQ/view?usp=sharing

short vemslog as well
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B70F_6JMnp4idUh6MVpaQjlSNjg/view?usp=sharing

Offline homer

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 04:42:05 am »
Just wanted to bump this up. I've had the misfire crop up 2 or 3 times in the past year. Same fix, restart the engine. I never ended up changing the crank sensor. Any ideas?