Author Topic: Hi all, slight prob with uploading firmware  (Read 5833 times)

Offline Butchs13

• BHP: 0
Hi all, slight prob with uploading firmware
« on: April 14, 2007, 07:54:12 pm »
Hi guys,

first post so hi, names Chris, 24. got a rb25det in an s13. Hopfully will be a permenant member on here. Mainly learning though. Purchased a vems wideband but got a few issues.

Its working fine in the car as a stand alone (but the display goes from afr to lamba every second or so????? and the button does nothing). But when i connect up to a laptop to change settings or datalog it does not work.

I am using a usb to r232 converter and i have uploaded the drive ok.
It is set for com4 verified in windows control pannel.
when i run file uploadfirmware.bat i get an error saying:

'PERL' is not a reconised internal or external command

Using megatune i cannot connect to the display using any of the com port settings

Dont know what to do??? please help

Thanks in advance

Offline cliffb75

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 10
Re: Hi all, slight prob with uploading firmware
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 09:34:24 pm »
Hi Chris

I'm sure an adult will be along shortly to help, but I have a couple of questions that may point in the right direction

Why are you trying to upload firmware? To fix the display switching / button not working? Otherwise since you are saying it works, you shouldn't need to upload anything.

Do you get communications with the unit in the first place using the copy of megetune for the gauge (should have been suplied on a disk with the unit or you can download it from the wiki). If not, it could be your usb to rs232 adapter - some don't work.

Or have you touched the baud rate setting (like I did  ;)) - despite what the warning says, it should be set to 19200 for the wideband gauge.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 09:31:55 am »
Hi guys,

first post so hi, names Chris, 24. got a rb25det in an s13. Hopfully will be a permenant member on here. Mainly learning though. Purchased a vems wideband but got a few issues.

Its working fine in the car as a stand alone (but the display goes from afr to lamba every second or so????? and the button does nothing). But when i connect up to a laptop to change settings or datalog it does not work.

I am using a usb to r232 converter and i have uploaded the drive ok.
It is set for com4 verified in windows control pannel.
when i run file uploadfirmware.bat i get an error saying:

'PERL' is not a reconised internal or external command

Using megatune i cannot connect to the display using any of the com port settings

Dont know what to do??? please help

Thanks in advance

Hi Chris welcome to the forum.

Firstly did you get the firmware from: http://www.vems.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18.0
Second there are some issues with the various RS232 USB adaptors, can you find out what your adaptor is setup as in
Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager?
One customer found that the USB device was stuck at 9600,N,8,1, where it needed to be at 19200,N,8,1

AFR to lambda seems very strange, never heard of that happening before.

Offline Butchs13

• BHP: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 10:19:58 am »
Thanks for the response guys, hopfully i will get it sorted this morning.

I am trying to get the firmware updated as i thought thats might fix my swapping from lamba to afr. The firmware is from the Horsham devel website as i got no disk with my guage.

I did change the baud rate in megatune to 9600 and the port is on 9600 as thats what mega tune said, I have a feeling this is the problem. I will be checking this straight away.

Thanks for the help guys, soon will be datalogging

Chris

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 11:32:36 am »
Use the download from this site mate as the MegaTune for the Wideband is different to the one for the VEMS. 
The Wideband runs at 19200 baud.

You have PM btw :)

Rob

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 11:34:41 am by [email protected] »