Author Topic: Opinions on this coil setup: audi 12v v6 dual towers?  (Read 6719 times)

Offline josh-stateside

• BHP: 2
Opinions on this coil setup: audi 12v v6 dual towers?
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:27:21 am »

I'm thinking about using 4 of these twin tower coils for my audi 4.2L engine.   Anyone have any experience with them?

I'm looking to possibly build a few of these engine swaps.  Now that I know there are known issues with the stock audi 3 wire COP and ignition modules i'm thinking I might be nice to use the stock 12v v6 ignition coils and hopefully modify the stock v6 engine harness for the v8 setup.   Most the connectors are close to where they need to be for the v8 engine and are the same plugs. 

Opinions?

Should I just look into a 4 cylinder wasted spark coil for each bank?

Thanks
Josh

Offline josh-stateside

Re: Opinions on this coil setup: audi 12v v6 dual towers?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 03:31:30 am »
Also I've got early 3.6L valve covers allready which used basically vw 16v coil plugs and wires and a distributor setup so it should work nicely and i'll swap them over vs the COP ABZ valve covers.

Offline josh-stateside

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:35:42 am »
I still wouldn't mind opinions on these coils althought I suspect most folks won't know to much information on them.  This all being said I'm getting two bosch 0221503407 2x2 motorsport coils.   I figured since I found the sets here in the USA and it's what vems sells i'd play it safe.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:41:15 pm »
Honestly, I don´t see you having problems with anything you have stated.

If you aren´t going with forced induction then basically you can run just about anything. so the choice is yours

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 12:38:42 am »
I have many megasquirted n/a and mild turbo cars with this coils from audi V6 endines. These are very cheap on junkyards. I use 3.5..4.3 ms charging times.

Offline josh-stateside

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 09:41:18 am »
Well I got a set of these for $40.00

I want to boost the engine at some point.   I'm thinking rotrex.  So I mind as well get the better of all the setups.