Author Topic: Am i able to run dummy ignition without the IGBT's?  (Read 8449 times)

Offline bcool

• BHP: 0
Am i able to run dummy ignition without the IGBT's?
« on: September 18, 2009, 03:39:47 am »
I'm running an MSD DIS 4 box now and i was curious to know if i can run the ECU minus the IGBT's now that the ignition box its taking over the job.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: Am i able to run dummy ignition without the IGBT's?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 04:28:14 am »
Yes you can but you´ll have to change the output signals of the ignition so suit the MSD box.
What does the MSD box want to see?

pos 12v square wave?
pos 5v sq
neg 12v sq
neg 5v ??

Offline bcool

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 08:03:25 am »
Eggselent, I'm pretty sure the ignition box wants 12volt square wave, i'll double check before i make the change. All i need to do is jump the correct 2 pins on each IGBT slot on the ECU and change the setting to dummy.

I fried my IGBT during testing on the old setup and would just like to avoid the hassle of shipping in a few more. Plus i would imagine this would give better ignition control as its one less medium for the signal to go through.

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 04:50:44 pm »
If you need 12v you need to use the stepper outputs.

Rob

Offline bcool

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 04:13:58 am »
Alright so i need a 12V square wave ground for the msd box. I hate to look like the idiot but im lost here on what i should do to get my board set back up the correct way. Heres where my board is at. The last picture is with my old IGBT's and 3 others that i have no clue about. Are these the logic level outputs i need to be using? Also is there anything else i should be adding onto the board to make this work properly. Thanks for bearing with my stupidity.

PS dont mind the burnt lead going to one of my injector FETs. Had a slight misshap one day. haha

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 04:18:24 am by bcool »

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 03:48:08 pm »
You have to install stepper chip. It is only trough-hole chip on the board. It will give you 4x12V outputs.

But I suppose it can be done in other way too - with parts you already have. You can use current IGBTs and mount on each output about 1kohm resistor to 12V. But be careful with signal polarity. It is possible to invert it if necessary.

Gints

Offline bcool

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:08:00 pm »
I Found a good IGBT. Too much hassle heh, but thanks for the input guys.

Offline bcool

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 07:39:00 am »
Im not sure what i did now. I had the case open and the car running. I kept my hand on the igbt's to make sure they didnt get hot. I drove the car down the road and the ignition cut out. The car started again shortly after but then the ignition cut out once more. The car will start for 2 seconds then chug over and die now. I'm pretty sure The IGBT's are screwed. Can anybody find me a decent replacement IGBT on this website? I'd like to get a new set soon and dont want to wait for the VEMS shop delay.

http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Transistors-FETs-Bipolars-IGBTs/IGBT-Transistors/_/N-2xpra/

Just need to order in a new set and start from scratch. I'm suprised they went out since they're controlling a msd box. I decided it would be best to stick with IGBT's incase the box ever goes out and i need to drive the car. since they were nice enough to make a nice box delete plug to return the igntion system back to "stock".

Offline bcool