Author Topic: OPEL Turbo & Next Project  (Read 10112 times)

Offline moua

• BHP: 0
OPEL Turbo & Next Project
« on: April 30, 2007, 03:25:19 pm »
This is my Opel Astra turbo

Engine is a modified C20LET motor with a T3/T4 Turbo & NOS. ECU - Haltech linked to my custom display computer via serial cable. I snooped in on the coms lines to get the serial protocol and then wrote the software to display the Haltech vital parameters on the LCD display.
The Nos control panel is behind the handbrake.
From the display computer I can control the vitals... Map,Boost,Charge Cooler, Water Injection,Launch control etc.

The maintenance box is used for dyno sesions and can be taken out of the vehicle to the engine bay.

New engine in the waiting. M3 TB with stagged injection, Wiseco,Pauter rods and hairdryer. I haven't decided on the host vehicle

New Project .... Opel with C20let motor with T3/T4. Currently still using Motronic but soon two change !!
I am considering VEMS. My basic requirements are:

• Solid Hardware design
  • Staged,Seq Injection
  • 60-2
  • EGT
  • Knock Sensing
  • Staged Water Injection
  • Boost Control
  • Launch Control

Most of this I have done on the Silver Opel but it required two computers due to the fact that you don not have access to the ECU software. >:(
Vems allows you to do this all with a single hardware platform. I would prefer to write most of the code myself and use the basic drywers from VEMS .........but I still need to convince them. ;) My approach would be to use it as is,....... and as my confidence grows expand it with my own software.

Offline Agriv8

• BHP: 4
Re: OPEL Turbo & Next Project
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 04:36:14 pm »
Impresive stuff writing your own code  !  ( I panic when I have to use the Term emulator )

Welcolm on board

regards

Agriv8
'The older I get the faster I was'

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 07:31:53 pm »
Nice work!

Interesting looking box that...

Motronic you say...

That of interest?

Rob

Offline moua

• BHP: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 08:16:44 pm »
Nice work!

Interesting looking box that...

Motronic you say...

That of interest?

Rob

Rob

I am not sure which motronic you refer to ?

The silver Opel came out with Motronic 2.7 which I replaced with Motronic 2.5 (Long sad stupid story) .The Motronic code switch on the Display Computer was the switch that activated the error codes on the Motronic. Instead of counting light flashes I decoded the signal and displayed the error on the LCD (instead of  error codes.) I used the Motronic with a my own piggy bag computer  (controlling the second fuel rail's injectors.) I kept on breaking the Air Mass Meter wire and got tired of looking for a new one and another dyno session. I replaced the whole lot with a Haltech.Today the switch activates a GTECH pro.

The red Opel still uses a Motronic 2.5. It is limited to a 0.6 bar boost so the Air Mass Meter survives. I haven't route the dump valve back to before the turbo so you get unmetered air which upsets the management system when you tap off under boost.

In general it is difficult to achieve the same level of refinement of the original OEM .....but if you deviate from the standard,..... adding turbo's etc..... the OEM are not the way to go,....... even with a piggy bag computer. Ther are so many "safety" features that buggers you around that makes it difficult to set-up properly.

Thanks Agriv8

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 11:05:28 am »
I know exactly where you are coming from on this.  Several years ago, I decompiled the pre 1996 Impreza WRX ECU so I could make it work with my car's mods.  I'm not going to do this again in a hurry!!  (VEMS didn't exist then)

Rob is refering to the VEMS ECU with a Motronic connector on it.  It sounds like it might meet your needs in that it will plug in and require very little work with wires so it'll let you get to work more quickly on the fun bit of coding. :D