Author Topic: More analog inputs ?  (Read 8722 times)

Offline ranz

• BHP: 6
More analog inputs ?
« on: February 18, 2011, 01:40:36 pm »
I'v made wiki page for that also: http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage/RandoNomm/Marjes
But there seems to be no replys for that, thats why I'll make new topic here to.
Main problem, I have 2 analog input channels, but I need 4. From where I can take them? how to connect? directly to mcp3208? to what pin?
My own vems unit is same setup (auditrigger) but with econseal plug, and it has 4 inputs, so I should be able to connect extra ones to that VEMS motronic ecu also?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:34:20 pm by mattias »

Offline ranz

Re: More analog inputs to VEMS Audi AAN ecu?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 03:03:21 pm »
I found that I can also use SCL pin for input on JP1? http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=GenBoard/UnderDevelopment/DigitalInputs there is also SDA input, but I can not select it on vemstune...

Offline ranz

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:41:40 am »
I'm right now a little dissapointed :( so far anykind of problems where solved with help of wiki and forum.
Right now I am alone with my problem. Almoust week ago I also sent mail to VEMS directly with link to that wiki page, no replys so far... some days ago ordered some stuff... no problems...
So what to do now? the competitions are not so far away and I need to finish the car!

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 12:06:03 pm »
I don't mean to be rude, but  have you considered what you're asking?
Do you think it would be possible to get any kind of help in a matter like this from another ECU brand?

So you need 4 analog inputs, SDA/SCL signals won't help you - they're logic inputs.  Just open it up, and find the traces yourself, the MCP3208 is right there and the pinout of the chip is found through a simple Google search. With the v3.6 pinout you should be able to deduce what analog inputs are availabe and to what pins you should route on the EC18. If you look at the traces you can easily add diode protection and pull-ups on the experiment area on the edge of the board (the traces also go there).

Or.. send in the ECU for upgrade and it should be no problem to get what you need (67 Euro including shipping).
http://shop.vems.hu/catalog/retest-repair-p-103.html

Offline ranz

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 12:28:15 pm »
At least one reply :D
Thatswhy I like VEMS, it has best support what I have seen, any problems solved etc...
But that is the problem... it seems that the documentation is not correct. So, I do not know what pins are used, what are not... I have opened the ECU several times (to add outputs), and then I discovered that the documentetation is not correct.
So, how can I just add inputs like that? I know where the MCP3208 is, but what and where??? thatswy the topic.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:46:01 am »
I don't know what documentation you are referring to as being incorrect, the design changes a little bit between board versions but nothing significant. The paper you get with your ECU has gotten more specific about what is done to your ECU and brought out on the EC18 connector. It's simple to me, just look at the schematic, see what the MCP3208 outputs are used for, follow the traces, see which ones are used. Use the analog raw gauges in VemsTune and play carefully with it and you'll easily find what you're looking for.
Begin here :
http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=GenBoard%2FVerThree%2FSchematic

Offline ranz

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 12:16:52 pm »
I don't know what documentation you are referring to as being incorrect,
To that paper that came with that ECU.

It's simple to me, just look at the schematic, see what the MCP3208 outputs are used for, follow the traces, see which ones are used. Use the analog raw gauges in VemsTune and play carefully with it and you'll easily find what you're looking for.
Begin here :
http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=GenBoard%2FVerThree%2FSchematic
OK, I'll try it that way.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:20:37 pm by mattias »

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 01:22:16 pm »
I haven't come across wrong documentation on the accompanying paper with any ECU. Care to take a photo for us to see?
It's easy to mis-understand how this works together, it might just be a matter of interpretation.

Offline ranz

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 01:30:08 pm »
I haven't come across wrong documentation on the accompanying paper with any ECU. Care to take a photo for us to see?
It's easy to mis-understand how this works together, it might just be a matter of interpretation.
I'll do that when I go to garagage.