Author Topic: Injector deadtime table  (Read 18050 times)

Offline BigD

• BHP: 6
Injector deadtime table
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:09:09 pm »
Are there any plans to add this to the official build? I saw Andrey has had this in his custom build for a long time now. I will be using ID injectors, which come with the deadtime specs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbPqbvMfC6k

Offline lugnuts

• BHP: 2
Re: Injector deadtime table
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 02:23:31 am »
I second this to be done as soon as possible.

In the vemstune, there is a section for "firmware parameters", but the "dead time' setting is not highlighted/able to be changed. We should add this to the wishlist for new firmware.

Offline multiplex

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:00:09 pm »
looks like a great idea - would make the setup a little easier to understand i think  ;D

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:49:29 pm »
Please post these videos in the video section, okay its in Russian, but we have visitors from .ru and its handy to have all the videos that we can find that are VEMS related in the one place.

Offline BigD

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 04:07:10 pm »
The video is useless as far as being a tutorial to anyone who doesn't have his custom build :( It will become useful if the inj deadtime table is ever implemented. He does have an awesome video for using autotune to set your VE table from scratch but it's Russian, they'd probably see it from him first. I was thinking to download it and reupload it subbed in English.

Offline lost

• BHP: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:15:14 pm »
That translation would be nice  ;)

Offline ktm_micke

• BHP: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 06:03:47 pm »
Hello
I did also look at that video and I think its must already be implemented.
I did following
Open the config file in notepad
Look for row
CompileOptions: 0000005F
Change it to
CompileOptions: 00000060
And then I have this option in injector settings.
I don’t know if this is the right thing to do no warranties for the result.
Micke K

Offline BigD

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 07:57:01 pm »
How did you figure that out?! I wonder if it actually does what it seems. Any developers care to comment?

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 10:47:32 pm »
You need to have a firmware compiled with this feature to make it work. The CompileOptions only reveals what flags were used with the current firmware.
It might make it into the current branch. But honestly I have very little problems with the methods used today, the downside is that it might be harder to understand.

Offline BigD

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 10:56:25 pm »
So if my injectors are supplied with deadtimes specified for each voltage, how can I use that with the current method?

It would be nice if there was just a dropdown switch to use either method if you feel the current way is more usable.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 12:14:22 am »
All this is also highly dependant on the flyback control solution used.

If you use unknown/new injectors with Autronic  and they are not in the tuning software database, you have to send them in for testing to get their characteristics tested (they do this for free). They have no use for any information on the injectors, they test and create their own data for their electronics.

I usually experiment and start out with 0 ms rampup and open time, and increase rampup if I see a problem with the shape of the VE table and the general behaviour. It's not highly scientific, but spending countless hours trying to find the optimal setting that works outside of 13.5 Volt operating voltage is just wasted IMO. The smaller the injectors get the less time I spend thinking about it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:38:03 pm by mattias »

Offline BigD

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 02:54:53 am »
Thanks for the reply!

Does flyback affect injector opening? I mean the deadtime is primarily for the opening characteristics right?

Well these are 1000cc injectors and they come deadtime-matched, with the values defined from the manufacturer, so I would like to use them straight up without experimenting. Do you think it would be possible for the method to be configurable like I mentioned?

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 08:32:04 am »
Current settings is absolutely user unfriendly. 99% of users use crappy settings.
And: F1 gives wrong/incomplete description about values.
And: even in wiki we can't find definitive description.
And: current method do not allow use non-linear voltage compensation. - way how to make tune stable at usual voltages, and at same time little protect engine when voltage drops catastrophically.

Mattias, has deadtime table method some downsides?

Gints
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:37:43 am by GintsK »

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 12:31:22 pm »
No, I don't think it has a downside.

What I meant with deadtime + flyback, opening and closing times are still a complex game. Changing the scheme will still require some brain-activity from the user.

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 03:15:49 pm »
Trouble is, we've seen some horrors comming off dynos by "professional" tuners, case in point that BMW with the 120% warm-up enrichment at operating temperature, and some others that I will not mention.
Giving people more features than is strictly needed can damage the reputation of the system even further - I can prove that peole claim that its never "their fault" and blame the "magic" ECU.
I think a standard set of defaults would work well, with an option to unlock the Expert features inside the ECU - things like injector characteristics and wideband controller PID settings should be set with good defaults, then hidden out of the way.