Author Topic: COP set up on turbo m20  (Read 7211 times)

Offline beefjurky69

• BHP: 0
COP set up on turbo m20
« on: May 07, 2014, 03:57:14 am »
How's it going guys having a small issue my my setup. I'm using ls1 truck coils on my m20 and can't get the ign output to supply 5v reference to fire the coil. I wired the coil to the 5v reference pin and when ignition is switched on the coil fires fine. So I know the coil is wired right and works just can figure out why the ign output doesn't supply 5v reference. Is there a setting I'm vems that can allow me to switch those outputs into a 5v reference ign output?

I was also thinking could I just run a jumper wire from the 5v reference pin to each ign output I need to supply me with the 5v reference I need to fire the coil?  If not how can I use vems to run my COP setup.

Thanks guys

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
Re: COP set up on turbo m20
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 10:11:15 am »
with what ignition outputs your vems was ordered?
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline beefjurky69

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:32:42 pm »
with what ignition outputs your vems was ordered?

I bought this unit second hand so I had no sheet with the specs on it...im almost 100% sure im running a IGBT ign setup as I had it running wasted spark using msd gm style tower coils. I need to figure out how to make those outputs into a 5v reference output.

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 06:49:02 pm »
so, you need to remove igbts and make some way that signal can get out from inside ecu, or you can use stepper outputs if you are controling it with wasted spark
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline beefjurky69

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:10:22 pm »
so, you need to remove igbts and make some way that signal can get out from inside ecu, or you can use stepper outputs if you are controling it with wasted spark

I want to run sequential ignition with the cam sync I have...I might have it figured out with Gunni's help. Looks like I need to get rid of the IGBT's and jump the middle hole with the hole for ecu pin. I'm hoping it gives me enough power though to fire the coil. 

Offline NOTORIOUS VR

• BHP: 5
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 02:13:24 pm »
Don't forget to add the 500 ohm resistor!

Offline beefjurky69

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 03:05:17 pm »
Don't forget to add the 500 ohm resistor!

On the jumper?

Offline NOTORIOUS VR

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 05:05:56 pm »
Note the 511 resistors in this pic... You wont' have them. 

So you remove the IGBT, then you short the output and add the resistors (you should have a strip of them in your rescue kit that came with the ECU).

I recently changed my ECU from dumb to smart coils.  Although I changed only two IGN channels and used the 4 stepper outputs for 4 cyl and the two changed IGN outputs for the other 2.  That way you get to keep high power outputs for anything else you might want since steppers are generally less suited for that purpose (as a general out).

Offline beefjurky69

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 05:21:36 pm »
What would I need those 511's for? For better spark?  I get spark now in test mode when activating that output.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:40:31 pm by mattias »

Offline NOTORIOUS VR

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 07:58:58 pm »

It's a pull up I believe for a stronger signal to the coil.  Some coils require it for the coil to work as some coils have a stronger pull up inside that might not work with just the logic output when it is not present.

But if you're already working without it, then I suppose you don't need it.  I would keep an eye on how strong the spark is though, if it is weak you might want to consider adding it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:41:32 pm by mattias »

Offline beefjurky69

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 08:20:29 pm »
I will keep an eye on it and see how spark looks...All I need to figure out now is to see if my config is right...car wants to start but doesn't. I must have setting all wrong that I cant figure out.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:41:41 pm by mattias »