Author Topic: Suzuki GSXR 1100 Turbo Project....VEMS Managed??  (Read 14105 times)

Offline stewb

• BHP: 0
Suzuki GSXR 1100 Turbo Project....VEMS Managed??
« on: April 11, 2007, 02:46:33 pm »
Hi all, new to the forum as I'm after an ECU to run my long suffering GSXR Turbo project bike & VEMS looks like it could do the job. Just as a bit of background (some of it possibly won't mean much to non bike types.....)

1986 GSXR1100G Frame & Swingarm 1100M running gear
1990 GSXR1100M Engine
GPZ 1100 A? 34mm throttle bodies, Nissan S12 270cc/min Low impedance Injr's & TPS
Lasercut 36-1 trigger disc crank mounted with Ford Inductive sensor
Bosch NTC IAT & Coolant temp sensors
Weber Marelli 2 Bar MAP sensor
2 x Dyna double ended coils
Bosch Generic K-Jet type roller cell fuel pump (Xr3i/RST)

Garrett T25 Turbo
Front mounted Air/Air intercooler
St/St pipework (exhaust & inlet)
Fabricated Alloy Plenum / collector

Planning to run low boost (approx 5psi max) on std compression ratio (hence the OTT intercooling). Would envisage max engine RPM to be 10k. Due to injector size i would be planning to run batched but I would wire it so I could go sequential if necessary.

Whats the concensus then chaps? Is VEMS suitable?? Have experiance with Emerald M3D (running on my Scimitar SS1 Turbo) but not used anything with the VE table type of fuelling setup.

Any advice / suggestions would be greatfully recieved.....i'm at the point now that I need to get an ECU ordered hence the questions!

Thanks, Stewart.

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Suzuki GSXR 1100 Turbo Project....VEMS Managed??
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:29:32 pm »
Hi Stewart and welcome.

Everything there looks usable.

I personally dont think that theres any way intercooling can be OTT, theres others here that know better than I, but as I understand things the general rule of thumb is each 10degC you can lower the inlet temp by you're getting the equivalent to an increase in 1 octane - handy in a standard compression turbo engine.

As for VE fueling, its nothing to worry about, its a function of the required fuel value, but a little more honest because of the temperature compensation you get with a speed density system.

You'll get good results with the built-in boost controller, and if you're planning a spot of drag racing the launch control and anti-lag is quite handy ;D

Offline stewb

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 09:02:40 am »
Right then, finally got some pics just to give an idea of what I'm talking about!!

Stew

Offline cliffb75

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 10
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 12:51:55 pm »
Hmmmm interesting. Its got a face only a parent could love, but it does look ..........purposeful ;D

Like the rear end though. You sure the swingarm extensions are lonke enough ;)

Good luck with it.

Offline Sprockets

• BHP: 5
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 01:00:32 pm »
Nice project there stewart!

As Rob said, everything is more than useable that you have there for vems, and will give you a nice rideable machine :)

I assume by the fact you have lights on the front, it's going to be on the road rather than just the strip/track?  The only reason I ask is if it was pure strip/track machine, running on E85 would be of great benefit seeing as you are running the stock CR.  This is what i am using for the engine on our drag bike, (well, actually it'll be running methanol, but E85 is cheaper) as i am to leaving the stock CR until something blows and i'm forced to do something about it!  But, for street use, E85 still isn't as popular as it is made out, well, especially not in my area, so i wouldn't want to be stranded with no fuel up options!

Along with the drag bike my GSXR1000 is also getting the VEMS treatment this season, that is until i properly log what the stock ECU is doing with regards to the power limiting, but thats a differnt project entirely lol!

Anyhow, good luck with it all, and keep us all informed on the progress!

-Gavin

Offline stewb

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 11:34:36 am »
Yeah, spoke to various people at the Autosport show about E85, seems like the way to go but it does involve a few system changes - mainly centered around fuel delivery capacity. Heard one example that was running E85, 4 cylinder on batched with 4 x 444cc/min injectors. The injectors were flat out at 230bhp. On 97RON UL you'd be looking at more like 330bhp so you do need a fair bit more system capacity. Also on the bike I am actually struggling for fuel tank capacity, the tank is only a couple of gallons....!

Stewart