Author Topic: s14a with gt3240@27psi  (Read 45681 times)

Offline s14nismo

• BHP: 6
s14a with gt3240@27psi
« on: November 22, 2007, 10:51:58 am »
Hi newbie here, ive just placed an order for a vems system for my 97 200sx after spending a few years modifying it and getting
as much as i possibly could with various piggy-backs and fuel controllers, ive decided to go fully stand-alone management.
  I should be ready to install the VEMS soon after christmas if all goes well,so you may see a few desperate HELP messages coming your way. from what ive seen so far on the forum its an endless font of knowledge, so all help will gratefully be recieved!
  Regards,
             Scott.

I've attached a few pics to browse. All the graphics and vinyls on the pics are now removed!

On the stand with TATSU at japfest (i had two track sesions)

Offline Tcal

• BHP: 3
Re: s14a with gt3240@27psi
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 11:31:22 am »
Wow. Evil looking thing you have. Those wide arches fit well.

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 06:40:51 pm »
Hooray! The vems, loom adaptor, sensors and trigger wheel have all arrived so the project is officially Go! :)

My first Question (of many probably) is whats the thread size on the IAT sensor that came supplied with the unit?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 07:45:26 pm by s14nismo »

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 07:11:13 pm »
Hooray! The vems, loom adaptor, sensors and trigger wheel have all arrived so the project is officially Go! :)

My first Question (of many probably) is whats the thread size on the IAT sensor that came supplied with the unit?

M14x1.5

Offline BenFenner

• BHP: 8
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 08:02:16 pm »
That wiring harness adapter is so nice. Mine looks awful comparatively. Who ever does those does some nice work. I'd have gotten one if there were one for my SR20 wiring harness. =/

The wheel arches look a bit mustang-ish, but what can you do? As Tcal said; they fit (and flow) very well. I can't say I like the wheels much, I'm glad the graphics are gone, I like the holes and mesh in the bumper for air, the rear wing could go (but as far as wings go, it looks to be a good one)...

Great to see another new member of the VEMS community.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 08:03:57 pm by BenFenner »
1994 Black SE-R (VEMS, going turbo)
1994 Black SE-R (with sunroof)

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 08:28:50 pm »
That wiring harness adapter is so nice. Mine looks awful comparatively. Who ever does those does some nice work. I'd have gotten one if there were one for my SR20 wiring harness. =/

;D  If I'd had the pin-outs for sure I'd have made one.  Its one of those things that 25years of soldering and wiring experience helps with.

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 08:32:24 pm »

The wheel arches look a bit mustang-ish, but what can you do? As Tcal said; they fit (and flow) very well. I can't say I like the wheels much, I'm glad the graphics are gone, I like the holes and mesh in the bumper for air, the rear wing could go (but as far as wings go, it looks to be a good one)...

Great to see another new member of the VEMS community.

Yeah the wiring harness was worth the money, it'd take me an age to do it myself, and im too impatient!
  the wheel arches were formed out of function really, just to squeeze the 20" wheels in! (which were originally destined for a rolls royce silver shadow lowrider of all things, but never got underway!)

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 04:21:41 pm »
 As the pic shows ive opted for the ready made loom adaptor, and after reading up on the wiki and the loom guide they stress the importance of grounding, im using basically the standard vehicle loom, so is this adequately grounded?
 Or do i need to modify the grounding circuit?
 Also my battery is now located in the boot with a 75sqmm power cable running to the original connection under the bonnet, ive currently just grounded the neg side of the battery to the chassis in the boot, should i run a cable to the original ground point?

Oh and whats this green twin core cable for?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 06:30:30 pm by s14nismo »

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 08:01:12 pm »
As the pic shows ive opted for the ready made loom adaptor, and after reading up on the wiki and the loom guide they stress the importance of grounding, im using basically the standard vehicle loom, so is this adequately grounded?
 Or do i need to modify the grounding circuit?
 Also my battery is now located in the boot with a 75sqmm power cable running to the original connection under the bonnet, ive currently just grounded the neg side of the battery to the chassis in the boot, should i run a cable to the original ground point?

Use the standard vehicle grounding with that adaptor, that guide is designed to give an overview for all sorts of looms.

As for the grounding with the rear battery make sure that you have a really good grounding point near the battery and dont use an additional wire or use a wire to extend the battery wire to the original grounding point.  Doing both can end up with a ground loop which is a pain you dont want to have to cope with.

With a bad battery ground you'll see that there are problems when you crank the car - once the engine is running the circuit goes through the alternator, when cranking its through the battery.

Oh and whats this green twin core cable for?

Thats a cable for an EGT sensor should you want to fit one.

Rob

Offline BenFenner

• BHP: 8
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 09:12:55 pm »
I'm using the factory ECU grounds, and my battery is in my trunk. I don't trust it 100%, but so far I haven't had any grounding related problems, with the exception of my LCD operation (might be due to bad grounds, but not sure yet), and maybe my P.529 channels died because of poor grounding, but I think it was due to my own negligence connecting the ECU poorly at one point. I haven't felt the need to ground VEMS myself (yet).
1994 Black SE-R (VEMS, going turbo)
1994 Black SE-R (with sunroof)

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 09:35:10 pm »
Thanks peeps, I think im ready to install everything this weekend now ;)

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 11:03:20 pm »
Hi mate, dnb has just found that the loom adaptor for the European S14a has a slight problem - the power feed isnt correct so you'll not see the VEMS power up, all thats needed is a relay and two more wires, so if you want to send that adaptor back to me I can get it sorted for you sharpish.

Cheers

Rob

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 10:09:41 am »
 Ok rob will do, PM me with a return address and i'll send it out ASAP!

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 10:34:28 am »
Thanks rob, im gonna run a cable direct to the battery to feed the relay, what size fuse should i use?

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 10:54:25 am »
1Amp