Author Topic: Injection settings  (Read 18178 times)

Offline Denmark

• BHP: 7
Injection settings
« on: April 30, 2008, 11:05:44 am »
Hi all.

I have now gotten the Subaru driving,
And would like to know, how to run the injectors, right now they run 1-3-2-4 , like the firing order,but the ignition is run wastedspark, 1+3 & 2+4.

And do i run divider 1 or divider 2, ?

I have the crank injection set to simultanius, as this get the car started easyer(i think)

Any suggestions ?

/Skassa
working on the boxer

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
Re: Injection settings
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 12:22:01 pm »
You should be injecting when the valves are closed.  Anything else results in making fine tuning difficult.

You should run sequential injection with divider = 1.  I worked out that you should fuel the cylinder that fired last event.  ie if cyl 3 is currently firing, then VEMS should fuel cylinder 1. 

I must find the scrap of paper I worked this out on so I can check - my memory is playing tricks on me this week :(

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 12:57:46 pm »
I have now gotten the Subaru driving,
And would like to know, how to run the injectors, right now they run 1-3-2-4 , like the firing order,but the ignition is run wastedspark, 1+3 & 2+4.

And do i run divider 1 or divider 2, ?

I have the crank injection set to simultanius, as this get the car started easyer(i think)

When ever the spark is firing you know that the inlet is closed - so you are firing onto a valve rather than directly into the cylinder.

So you set your h[0] table to the sequence:
0 -> 8
1 -> 4
2 -> 2
3 -> 1

And run divider 1

Firing all the injectors for cranking means that you get 4 times as much fuel, you can get better resolution going to individual and then setting your cranking pw to 4 times what it is now.  Stick with what you're happiest with

Offline Denmark

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 01:52:42 pm »
Holy crap,

You all got to much time now, i have not had the time to read for a few hours, and now all kinds of nice suggestions,
This is just great :)

I does indeed sound like i´m alsmost hydrylocking the engine before it starts, so i will change to alternate, and up the cranking pw,

Rob is that sequense right?,
The firing order is 1-3-2-4 , and not the regular 1-3-4-2.

My table is now like this:
0 -> 8
1 -> 2
2 -> 4
3 -> 1

When i get of work, i will make a log on my way home...

Thanks,
Skassa
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 02:06:44 pm by Denmark »
working on the boxer

Offline Denmark

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 05:11:47 pm »
I have made some logs, but don´t know how to upload them,
I have found out that i think there is a problem again, with the trigger and ignitions ,when the fan comes on,  i just thourght it was something else,but it misfires(like cracy), and i cant get the car moving, till the fan stops again, not great when going home today!.
this all happens when the p259CH6 is turned on, so there is something wrong, when the p259chip is used!.

Here is a link to the P259 output that i use,

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FSkassawiringSubaru

The Tacho is working great, with no trooble at all,
I have run out of inj fets, otherwise i could move it to one of them, but all 8 are in use :'(.

/Skassa
working on the boxer

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 06:44:32 pm »
Got a spare IGBT?  That will get round the problem.

How far from the ECU is the common grounding point?

Rob

Offline Denmark

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 08:05:37 pm »
Yep, i got 4 extra ign fets, so i will try one of thoose , but i will not be before tomorrow,

I also changed to the VEms 300kba mapsensor, as the oe one was reading much out, when really 240kba boost, its in megatune stating 200kba,

So i will try and map it with this one tommorrow,

I use only the oe wiring, through the adaptor wiring,and i have made extra grounding all over, with a homemade grounding kit.

I did just try the "white paper behind the exhaust", and there is wet spots on the paper
this is when i have made the H0 table like you suggested,

0 -> 8
1 -> 4
2 -> 2
3 -> 1

I can´t feel a difference though,

I also noted that it´s runníng high Kba on idle, around 45kba, on the oe ecu is around 30kba, also for overrun fuelcut to to work, it have to be a 40kba.

I will give it ago again tommorow, but if i cant get it working, i will put a HKS fcd,and a dawes device on the oe ecu, on friday,(i got that in the garage,so will be easy to put on, and the dawes really works for boost)
 so it´s ready for the long trip saturday, it would just be nicer to be able to save some fuel on the long trip, as the oe ecu is really running rich..

Thanks,
Skassa
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 08:08:48 pm by Denmark »
working on the boxer

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 09:29:56 pm »
You calibrate the map sensor in software.  If this isn't right, then it tends to make you think things aren't right when they really are.

As for the idle problem, it sounds like you might have too much iac and too little timing.

Offline Denmark

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 09:42:13 pm »
Yes i know i calibrate the map sensor in the software, but even thourgh i have done that,it´s off, the futher it get´s away from 100 kba.

But i have not tested the max boost on the oe sensor, i have just read it to be 228kba,
When i put this in megatune, 100kba is 22kba wrong.

""You should run sequential injection with divider = 1.  I worked out that you should fuel the cylinder that fired last event.  ie if cyl 3 is currently firing, then VEMS should fuel cylinder 1.""

So this will be: injection order 4-1-3-2

0 -> 2
1 -> 4
2 -> 1
3 -> 8

Does this look right??
working on the boxer

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 11:08:50 pm »
Firing order looks right. 

I've never had a pressure sensor that wouldn't calibrate.  You need at least 2 points (preferably 4 or more!) of known absolute pressure to do the calibration, since you can alter both the scale and offset.

Offline Denmark

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 08:57:01 am »
Hmm,

I have just been reading the car manual,and it states:

after engine varmup manifold pressure: -400 to -500 mmHG,
so the 45kba that the oe map was reading must be right,

I just dont get that my boostgauge is showing 1,4bar when megatune only shows 1bar, and on the oe ecu, it was running 0.85bar as specified,abd with a VOS chip that runs 16psi,the gauge showed 1.15bar,
 but it can ofcourse be that much off, 

right now i will move the fancontrol to a ign fet instead of the P259 output.

And change the injector outputs.

thanks,
Skassa
working on the boxer

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 10:59:27 am »
Converting -400 to -500mmHG to kpa where kpa = mmHG * (101.325 / 760.0)
-400 * 0.1333 = -53.32kpa
-500 * 0.1333 = -66.65kpa

So it looks like things are reading incorrectly for both sensors.

When I speak of the common grounding point I mean the part where all the grounds are joined 12-15cm from the EC36 connector, is the common ground 12 to 15cm from EC36 and are all the grounds clustered there?

The reason that this common grounding point needs to be there is because it equalises the ground voltages and this means that sensor readings remain stable no matter what voltages are flowing to ground.

Offline Denmark

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 06:37:29 pm »
I have now gotten the car to drive decent,
There was a guy who have made a Vems manual, that have switched to wires to the IAC , so when this was corrected the idle, was made great within 5min,
I will offcourse not say names, of who it can be that, have writen that manuel ;D

well there seems to be another problem, and that is, that when the fan switches on, the car misfires like cracy, and i have made a 6mm ground wire, from the ground wires that are between the ecu connectors, and 20cm to chassis ground.

I thourght it was something to do with the output, but it´s not, i have removed the output to the wastegate control, and used that inj to run the fan, but the problem was still present,
I then removed the wire from the EC36 connector and grounded it directly,
and the same thing happen,
So i must be noise in the trigger wires, it goes away if i just raise the rpm a bit.
The same when cranking, there is lots of misifre just when it starts to run, but as soon as it get to around 1500rpm the problem disaper, and dont return til the fan comes in!

Suggestion to make this work during tommorow?.

Thanks,
Skassa
working on the boxer

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 06:51:50 pm »
Might be worth putting better shielded wires to the triggers.  Subaru wiring isn't exactly top notch...
If you're after a software fix, then some experimentation with the filter settings may help.

Also - check the grounds to the fans - maybe these are playing up.

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 07:30:40 pm »
If the UserGuide has any incorrect information please tell me so that I can rectify the problem.

Rob