Author Topic: Audi RS2  (Read 244999 times)

Offline mswanson

• BHP: 4
Re: Audi RS2
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2009, 09:40:40 pm »
well i dont know how to check my own trigger tooth...thats a problem

its a little difficult with the stock coil packs.  Much easier if you have a firewall mounted coil kit so you can just hook a timing light around the #1 spark plug wire..

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2009, 11:49:55 pm »

its a little difficult with the stock coil packs.  Much easier if you have a firewall mounted coil kit so you can just hook a timing light around the #1 spark plug wire..

You need only one wire with 1-2mm isolation(old spar plug is good).

Offline AVP

• BHP: 11
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2009, 12:23:58 am »
I did a small drive today. i have been testing a decent spark table and some ISV settings and it seems to be working quite well.

im getting hopes up!

acceleration enrichment tweeking here and there,and slowly start to build some boost.

a help of a passenger to do all this would be nice,so next month ill have the misses drive and me play on the laptop!

Offline AVP

« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2009, 02:59:15 am »
Quick question.

something that i see with this version(1.1.27) is that different TPS steady states on perhaps different gears (but that is something that cannot be seen on datalogging) give quite a big difference in lamda values.

example: on TPS aroun 8 or 10 i may get @ 2000-2300rpm and MAT= 60-70 lamda= 1.08 or something, while on same conditions and TPS=16-20 it can go up to 0.95lamda while VE is unchanged.

Now i know that in order to get both these values into play i would have to have a large EGO correction which is something i would like to avoid.

I know that on newer firmware versions you can actually add more fuel on TPS with the MAT table, so that will be more easily tampered with, but it would be nice to know what people do to help with that on the 1.1.27 version

thanks

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2009, 04:13:30 pm »
Same VE did not mean same area in VE table and same amount of fuel also.
Check your Lambda table!

Gints

Offline AVP

« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2009, 11:11:22 pm »
Your answer does not make sense to me.

lamda table is my target lamda.Target lamda is not reached when for same VE bins and constant VE numbers i have different TPS positions.

Im not talking about big differences.

for example, when cruising on a 5th gear and you are at about 80pka @ 3000rpm, and TPS is 7 or 8%, i may get close to my mark.

BUT if i reach that position through an acceleration of a short time, eg. 18%TPS,when passing through that bin/bins i may have lamda actual, less than what my target is, although with the previous equation, my VE number reached my target lamda nicely.

Offline mswanson

• BHP: 4
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2009, 01:24:21 am »

You need only one wire with 1-2mm isolation(old spar plug is good).

are you familiar with this engine configuration?  the coils are bolted down to the valve cover stock and its hard to separate a single high voltage wire from the power output stages to the coilpacks because they are bundled together.

I've done it before though using the stock coils by laying them out on the head and hooking an adapter spark plug wire between the #1 coil and a spark plug grounded to the head.

I purposefully shave that wire nearly down to the copper core where I place the clamp to give a better signal to the timing light.  works every time.

Offline AVP

« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2009, 01:43:58 am »
have been doing some runs and boost control tests.

it appears that pka boost control is not very good,needs tweeking a bit. Desired boost is not reached and some times i get an initial spike.I changed around the PID control and it seemed a bit better.

also VE map is much better now and timing map is safer and no signs of Knock. Finally EGTs are nicely managed.

Im nearly done with the idle control as well. A few more tweeks for the cold start and warm up enrichments and i think i will be fine.

Offline AVP

« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2009, 05:00:10 am »
I think im now at my final setup.

boost is nicely controlled, high boost/rev bins are much better and are giving me plenty of room for error.

idle is nicely managed finally. A few more times on cold engine just to make sure that i dont need the laptop with me at the car anymore!

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2009, 02:11:46 pm »
Thanks for keeping us updated, it took a bit of time but I hope you think its worth it in the end.

Offline AVP

« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2009, 02:16:40 pm »
Oh yes, it did take some time,and it will still need tweeking,no doubt,but at least im happier now to just go start the car and not worry about simple things going wrong.

i was wondering in the future of fitting a touchscreen double din with a car pc. Does vems have the capability to be operated through that if needed? or does it specifically needs a laptop?

touch screen can locate functions,but i assume that it will need a keyboard anyway for inputs.

anyway.im going to do some measurements of power today with the Perfomance box and also try some different spark settings to see the differences. I have done runs with the motronic before so i can compare!

Offline Bat

• BHP: 8
    • Trucking site
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2009, 01:42:13 am »
Hi,
No reason you can't use a car PC, I do ;)
Cheers,
Gavin :)
VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits for A series now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up 

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk

Offline AVP

« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2009, 03:01:50 am »
Gavin,
do you have to use keyboard for it though?

today i had a bit more luck and fun.Apparently i made some measurements and i get about 400hp and 550Nm of torgue on ambient temp of 20C and inlet temps of 34C. The power comes much faster than motronic and i actually can say that i get a few more hp than motronic,although i have less timing than motronic!!

i do get some problems with 6th gear pulls when on low revs,like 2800rpm.. it climbs the boost quite fast and it stumbles on 1.5bar not being able to get through it for 1000rpm and then goes forward again. During that time the car feels like it is very rich or something.

from the logs, it goes rapidly from 0.90lamda to 0.80 so i already tweeked the map to make it a tad leaner there,so that it goes more gradueally towards that 0.80lamda value

to keep 1.7bar to the red line i have to have about 0.75lamda for the time being.Im not sure if i can get more hp,if i reduce the boost and make whatever acceptable to have lamda 0.80...

what do you think>?

Offline Bat

• BHP: 8
    • Trucking site
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2009, 04:08:37 am »
Hi,
I don't use the keyboard as I only monitor rather than tune.
There are touchscreen keyboards and small wireless keyboards with a trackball or joystick.
Cheers,
Gavin :)
VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits for A series now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up 

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk

Offline AVP

« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2009, 05:37:44 am »
nice!
can you reccomend a cheapish double din compact car pc for me?

by the way, here are some runs! 20C ambient temp, and 34C inlet temp.

3d gear

4th gear